This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Skip the cans, and make your own cream of chicken soup. Perfect for using in recipes that call for it, and a lot healthier.
While I’m all about convenience and making meals fast, there are a few shortcuts that I prefer not to make.
However, cutting out all the recipes that involve Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup etc would be a shame (because some of them are awesome comfort foods), especially when there is a healthier way to achieve the same result!
I make double batches of this, and freeze in 1.5 Cup portions – so I have it on hand whenever I need it.
Simple ingredients (that are easily pronounced, and you probably already have!)
Note: This can be made vegetarian by subbing chicken broth for vegetable broth (do I get an award for stating the obvious, or something?)
Use Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup in these recipes:
Check out my other homemade pantry staples!!
- In medium-sized saucepan, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the together the broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings and bring to the boil.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour and add while whisking the
- boiling mixture and continue whisking until mixture boils and thickens.
- Cool, and use as directed in your favourite recipe
- Cool, and freeze in 1.5 cup portions (I do this in plastic freezer bags and freeze them flat for easier thawing)