This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Beef, potatoes, onions, kidney beans and CHEESE feature in this Crockpot Cowboy Casserole! Quick to prep, this is a real family pleaser!
Ever have a day where you just want dinner to be DONE and not worry too much about it? Yeah. Me too. Except that’s EVERY day… enter, the Crockpot Cowboy Casserole.
Some good slow cooker ground beef recipes is fantastic to have in the inventory! One of my favorites is my Poor Man’s Stew, but this Cowboy Casserole has a very different flavor. Both are awesome!
This recipe DOES contain a cardinal sin of the foodie world – cream of xxx soup. Which, honestly, I do tend to avoid if I can. However, in this case, simplicity and “get ‘er done” was the goal. If you really cannot handle the idea of canned soup, you can use my homemade version.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Beef, potatoes, kidney beans & CHEESE feature in Cowboy #Casserole! #recipe #homemade #crockpot” quote=”Beef, potatoes, kidney beans & CHEESE feature in Cowboy #Casserole! #recipe #homemade #crockpot”]
How to make Crockpot Cowboy Casserole:
- Combine all ingredients in the crockpot, no pre-cooking necessary!
- Cook on high for 4 hours
- Add cheese.
- (ta da!)
This is a hit with the family. It made enough that there was plenty for everyone, including seconds and even a little leftover.
Got a bigger crowd to feed? No problem! Add another can of beans, and another can of tomatoes to stretch this meal! (adjust the seasonings).
As this recipe stands, it fed 1 husband, 1 toddler, 1 mother, and 1 Kylee with seconds and leftovers.
Variations for Cowboy Casserole:
- Add a can of black beans, stretch out the meal
- Make Crockpot Cowboy Casserole with red potatoes (don’t peel!)
Want to see something fun? Here’s the original picture from when I published this many moons ago! eek.
Want more Crockpot Recipes? Of course you do!
Beef, potatoes, onions, kidney beans and CHEESE feature in this slow cooked Cowboy Casserole! Quick to prep, this is a real family pleaser!
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 lb ground beef browned and drained
- 3 large potatoes sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cans kidney beans do not drain
- 15oz can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 10.5oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp mixed italian herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Place all of the ingredients except the cheese in a crock pot (slow cooker) and combine well.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, cover.
- Serve when cheese is melted (about 10 minutes).