Roasted Brussels sprouts, paired with delicate shallots, salty bacon and a bit of parmesan – these take a childhood dread to DELIGHT!
Brussels sprouts are a love-em-or-hate-em kind of deal in most households. Thankfully, in mine – we love them. I think a lot of people have had them poorly prepared, and think they hate them which is such a shame!
The main thing I’ve noticed is that they’re overcooked. Let me just say: Overcooking them is a CRIME. When they become limp and mushy (and bitter), it’s all over and there’s no coming back from that.
These little beauties are fabulous cooked alone of course, but adding shallots, bacon and parmesan may actually turn the haters in YOUR family into enthusiasts. These are actually requested at my house (if you can believe that). I mean, who can blame them, though, right?Love Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts? Tweet it!Click To Tweet
I use these as a yummy side at Thanksgiving, Christmas and a random Tuesday. Whenever these are in season (and honestly, even when they’re not), if I see them at the store, I usually grab some.
I’m yet to convince both of my sons to try them, but to be perfectly honest – we’re not pushing the issue. Why? Well, because… then we’d have to share! The older one has cottoned onto the fact that bacon = good, so I have high hopes for the little one!!
Ingredients – just a few!
How to Roast Brussels Sprouts:
This is a super simple way – you can, of course, use an oven, but I love to do it right in a skillet.
- Begin by cooking and crumbling your bacon.
- Melt the butter, and cook the shallots until softened, then add the Brussels sprouts.
- Turn the heat to medium, and cover. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with crumbled bacon and parmesan.
Kylee’s Notes for Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- If you find your sprouts are burning (gasp!), add a little stock to the pan.
- Use freshly grated parmesan vs the bagged stuff – makes a huge difference!
- Freshly ground pepper is also a wonderful addition to this.
Hope you give these a try – I’d love to hear what you think! I’d love to hear how YOU cook these, too!
Looking for more yummy sides recipes? Of course you are!
Bright green roasted Brussels sprouts, paired with delicate shallots, salty bacon and a bit of parmesan - these take a childhood dread to DELIGHT!
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 shallot diced fine (can sub ½ an onion)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts cleaned and halved
- ½ cup cooked bacon crumbled
- 2 Tbs parmesan cheese grated
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and cook the shallots over medium heat until tender.
- Add Brussels sprouts, and put the lid on the skillet, and let cook for around 8 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Let the sprouts get brown on the bottom.
- When they're cooked to your preferred level of doneness - remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle bacon and cheese over the top, serve.