This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Perfectly Grilled Zucchini with a hint of lime, this simple recipe has step by step photos showing how to grill zucchini. It makes the best summer side dish and is super fast!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
Update: This was originally posted in June of 2015 and has been updated with new photos!
Tasty grilled zucchini with fresh grill marks is one of my favorite things to eat as a side during the summer months. I love not heating up my house, and grilling a bunch of things ahead for use in meals later in the week, or for that night.
Zucchini cooks super fast, it only takes about 15 minutes, and you’ll have some yummy veggies to devour that the whole family will love.
This post shows you how to grill zucchini as well as a bunch of different ways to season zucchini. You really can change up the flavor profile super easily, just use your imagination with your favorite seasonings!
This is a great healthy side dish, especially because you can cook these towards the end of your grilling time. If you are cooking steaks, remove the steaks and allow to rest while you grill the zucchini.
The brief marinade still packs a great flavor punch with the lime juice. The zest sprinkled on at the end finishes it off! And it’s even low carb!
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope! Just a quick wash, and then slice.
You can use a mandoline (affiliate link) or a sharp knife. Just cut off the ends, and slice in fairly thick slices for the grill (too thin and they’ll just dry out). A medium zucchini will get you 4-5 strips. You can also cut them into quarters and grill zucchini spears.
Yes! Zucchini has a ton of nutritional value that includes folate, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium!
No one likes soggy zucchini! Cut them thickly, and cook at a medium high heat (around 400 degrees)
Just a few minutes on each side, until you get good grill marks and the zucchini is tender-crisp.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Delicious Grilled zucchini alone is great, but the lime takes it to a whole other level.
- No long prep time. Just marinate for 10-15 minutes (while the grill heats up).
- Easy side dish: Very basic steps. Literally just making pouring the ingredients into a resealable bag, and adding the zucchini. You then grill it and then sprinkle with a mix of salt, pepper and lime zest.
- Simple ingredients. Two of them are kosher salt and black pepper.
How to choose the best zucchini
I tend to go for smaller zucchini (less than 8 inches long), as they have better flavor. Larger zucchini are more bitter the bigger they get.
Choose firm zucchini, with a dark green color, with no cuts, bumps or blemishes.
Store unwashed in the fridge, then rinse well before cutting and grilling.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
How to grill Zucchini
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch slices (about half a centimeter if you aren’t in the US).
Marinate the zucchini
In a large bowl or resealable bag, add the extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice, zest and salt & pepper.
Add the fresh zucchini and mix around until all pieces are covered.
Grill the zucchini
Preheat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium high.
Place zucchini on the grill grates in a single layer and cook
Flip to continue cooking on the other side (about 3-4 minutes).
Remove from grill and sprinkle with salt/pepper/lime zest and fresh herbs if you like!
What to do with leftovers
Store in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat until it is piping hot!
I love adding grilled zucchini to salads, too.
You can use Italian dressing instead of the olive oil/lime juice combination. Balsamic vinegar can replace the lime juice too, if you prefer!
Switch the lime juice and zest for fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
Adding garlic powder, onion powder will give you a deeper flavor.
Italian seasoning with lemon and olive oil is fantastic.
Summer squash works very well for this, do a mixture of zucchini and yellow squash for a pretty color change!
More Zucchini Recipes:
- Bacon Zucchini Risotto. Creamy, bright and fresh – so yummy! This is a great one pan dinner, or a perfect side.
- Squash Casserole. Decadent, creamy and garlicky – this will be the star of any dinner!
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini (from Damn Delicious). Crisp, tender parmesan zucchini sticks oven-roasted to absolute perfection.
Favorite Grilling Recipes:
- The Best Steak Sandwich you’ll Ever Eat. A sliced grilled ribeye, grilled tomatoes, peppery arugula, and a blue cheese thyme butter between crusty grilled bread.
- Marinated Vegetable Kabobs. A quick marinade, then onto skewers and grilled, served with an amazing pesto yogurt sauce. YUM!
- Elote (Grilled Mexican Street Corn) from Carlsbad Cravings. Grilled to charred juiciness then slathered with a creamy chili, cilantro, lime sauce then dusted with Cotija cheese.
Grilled Zucchini with Lime
- 3 medium zucchini find ones under 8 inches long (see notes)
PRE GRILL – SEASONING
- Cut off the tops and bottoms of the zucchini and then cut into thick slices, lengthwise.
- In a large bowl or ziplock bag drizzle in olive oil, lime juice and zest, salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini and combine until each piece is well coated.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat, and grill the zucchini on all both sides until tender, but not mushy.
- Season the grilled zucchini with salt, pepper and lime zest with and serve.
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.