This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Homemade Pancake Mix – make a delicious, fluffy, vanilla-y batch of pancakes that taste WAY better than boxed. YOU can be the breakfast super-hero! “Why yes, yes I DID make these from scratch!”
What if I told you…. that this was the best recipe for pancakes, ever… and you could make the mix ahead? And all you’d have to do to begin cooking would be to add some wet ingredients? Would you rush out and make a bunch? Good. You totally should.
I’m a huge fan of cooked breakfasts. There really is nothing quite like a good meal to start the day, and cold cereal just does not cut it. However, during the week – I am out of choices for the boys as we battle through the getting dressed and out the door routine.
The struggle is real, ya’ll. I’d show you a picture of the chaos, but I’m just not that brave. I AM brave enough to share the original pics from when I first posted this several years ago. I finally pulled out the camera when making a big ole batch of this last weekend, just so I can share with you. You’re welcome.
Here’s the original photo:
I’m embarrassed for me too. Let’s carry on.
I’ve nothing against box mixes, I really don’t – they’re convenient and can be a life saver. However, I REALLY love the flavor of this particular mix. The vanilla blended with the fresh milk, eggs and butter is sooooo good. My kids can totally tell which mix I used when eating these!Love Homemade Pancake Mix? Tweet it!
If you’re making one batch of pancakes – why not throw together some baggies of the dry mix for a short cut next time you need pancakes?
I’m getting ahead of myself. What goes in the baggies? It’s just flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Easy peasy.
This pancake recipe takes as long to prep as it does to heat your griddle. If you make the mix ahead, just add whisk the milk, vanilla, butter, and egg together and add a package of the dry mix. DONE!
Slave labor – here’s my (at the time I first posted this) 3-year-old son flipping pancakes like a pro!
DIY Pancake Mix:
To make the dry mix (double, triple, quadruple so you have some in the pantry for next time!):
Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a ziplock bag. Seal, write instructions on the bag, and store until ready to use.
To make the pancakes:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla.
- Fold in 1 bag of dry pancake mix, and stir until just blended. Don’t overmix.
- Cook on a hot griddle, flipping as you go.
- Serve with butter and syrup.
For more breakfast recipes, click here
Homemade Pancake Mix
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
To make the dry mix:
- Combine the dry ingredients in ziploc bags (can double, triple, quadruple as needed!)
To make pancakes:
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl (if you made the mix ahead, just use one bag of the dry mix)
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry, and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and grease lightly with butter.
- Pour ¼ cup batter into circles.
- Flip once bubbles appear and sides are lightly golden.