This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Soup – glorious soup!! I love the soup they have at Panera (Paradise Bakery in some places), and almost always opt for a big bowl of this when they have it. This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is warming, and really hits the spot on a cold winter day. I’ve been known to order this in summer, too.
Speaking of the cheese. DO take the extra step to grate your own. Pre-grated has additives that make this soup gritty and you really want it to be smooth and silky. You just DO. Enjoy this delicious, rich and flavorful version of an old favorite!
Love soup? How about these?
What’s your favorite? For more soup – click here
A gorgeous, rich and cheesy broccoli cheddar soup, perfect for feeding the family, and your soul! Easy and delicious, too!
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter until melted, then cook the onions until softened.
- Add the garlic, and cook 30 seconds more, then remove onions/garlic and set aside.
- Add the melted butter to the saucepan, and blend the flour in with a whisk.
- Whisk in the half & half, then add the chicken stock.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes (do not boil) until thickened.
- Add the broccoli, and the onions/garlic in, and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes (until the broccoli is tender).
- Season to taste.
- Remove from heat and puree all or half (if you like it chunky) in a blender.
- Return to heat, and stir in the cheddar.
- Serve, with extra cheese on the top.
- Then, get a second bowl after you ate the first.