This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A classic pasta dish using simple ingredients, like a sauce made silky and rich by using eggs, bacon, and parmesan. This Classic Spaghetti Carbonara is comfort food, made right in your own kitchen.
This pasta has legend status in my house, it’s so simple, but has an amazing flavor and just screams EAT ALL THE PASTA (and who are we to ignore that?)
It’s also super fast. You cook the pasta while you assemble the rest, then add eggs at the end – that are actually cooked by the hot pasta. A sprinkle of parmesan (or a whole pile of it, you choose) and a bit of parsley to make it look pretty, and dinner is served! It’s kind of dreamy.
This is one of my favorite recipes to make, mainly because, you know, BACON, but also because I don’t have to cajole my kids into eating it.
They smell the onion, the garlic, the bacon… and when I say “dinner is ready, get up at the table please!” my baby (who is 3) says “on my way” and the 5 year old says “yes ma’am”.
will may or may not make your children use their manners. Husbands too.
Want more pasta? Of course you do!!
Classic Spaghetti Carbonara
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and toss with olive oil.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook bacon until crispy; remove and drain onto paper towels.
- Using 2 Tbs of bacon grease, cook the onion until just translucent.
- Add the garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Return bacon to pan and combine.
- Add the bacon/onion/garlic mixture to the drained pasta and toss, adding more olive oil if it seems dry.
- Add the beaten eggs and toss with tongs until eggs coat all of the pasta.
- Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and toss again.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with extra parmesan.