This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A simple method with step by step photos showing how to remove the skins from chickpeas, perfect for making the creamiest hummus recipes!
How to remove the skins from garbanzo beans:
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
How to remove the shells from garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas)
This method is good for 2 cans of chickpeas.
Add drained and rinsed chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and mix.
Cook the chickpeas in the microwave for 2 minutes on high.
Rinse them in some cold water, rub between your hands… and the shells just kind of float to the top, so you can throw them away!
- Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus. The perfect snack served with pita chips or vegetable dippers. This recipe is super easy to make, and so good!
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. A warmly flavored hummus, featuring fresh garlic, roasted red peppers. This one is perfect for dipping!
- Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus. Roasted tomatoes and garlic paired with olive oil and fresh basil, this is summer in a bowl!
- The Best Roasted Garlic Hummus. Roasted garlic makes this homemade hummus SO good. Just a quick blast in a blender and this healthy and tasty dip/spread is yours!
How to remove the skins from chickpeas
- 30 oz chickpeas ((2 regular sized cans))
- 1 Tbs baking soda
- Add drained and rinsed chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add baking soda and mix it well.
- Cook the chickpeas for 1 minute on high. Stir.
- Put them in some cold water, rub between your hands… and the shells just kind of float to the top, so you can throw them away!
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Leave a Review