This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A simple method with step by step photos showing how to remove the skins from chickpeas, perfect for making the creamiest hummus recipes!
How to remove the skins from garbanzo beans:
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
How to remove the shells from garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas)
This method is good for 2 cans of chickpeas.
Add drained and rinsed chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and mix.
Cook the chickpeas in the microwave for 2 minutes on high.
Rinse them in some cold water, rub between your hands… and the shells just kind of float to the top, so you can throw them away!
- Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. A warmly flavored hummus, featuring fresh garlic, roasted red peppers. This one is perfect for dipping!
- Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus. Roasted tomatoes and garlic paired with olive oil and fresh basil, this is summer in a bowl!
How to remove the skins from chickpeas
- 30 oz chickpeas (2 regular sized cans)
- 1 Tbs baking soda
- Add drained and rinsed chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add baking soda and mix it well.
- Cook the chickpeas for 1 minute on high. Stir.
- Put them in some cold water, rub between your hands… and the shells just kind of float to the top, so you can throw them away!
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.