This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This Roasted Tomato-Basil hummus recipe is to die for. Roasted tomatoes and garlic paired with olive oil and fresh basil, this is summer in a bowl!
Hummus is making a COMEBACK! Perhaps it never really left (for you), but it’s been some time since I made and ate a whole pile of it. While I love plain old hummus – I kick it up a notch, but making a variation.
Roasting the tomatoes and the garlic and then adding them to shelled chickpeas along with fresh basil, olive oil, salt and tahini is really my idea of a great twist on the plain versions.
Should I shell the chickpeas?
YES! I say absolutely do it. Removing the shells makes the hummus a bunch smoother and is totally worth the extra step.
How do I shell ’em?
- Add 1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of… BAKING SODA, and mix it around.
- Cook the chickpeas for 2 minutes on high.
- Put them in some cold water, rub between your hands… and the shells just kind of float to the top, so you can throw them away! Easy!!
Roasted Tomato-Basil Hummus
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, and toss them with a little olive oil.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- In a food processor, combine shelled chickpeas, tomatoes, 1 tbsp olive oil, basil, tahini, garlic, lemon juice.
- Blend until almost smooth, then taste. Add salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper)
- Continue to blend until thoroughly smooth.
- Garnish with extra tomatoes, basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.