This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Roasted Tomato-Basil hummus is to die for. Roasted tomatoes and garlic paired with olive oil and fresh basil, this is summer in a bowl!
I participated in Mom Blog Tour Winter Fancy Food Show (#MomBlogTourFF) on behalf of Wendy’s Bloggers. I received Saffron Road products to facilitate my review, but my opinions and the recipe are my own.
Hummus is making a COMEBACK! Perhaps it never really left (for you), but it’s been some time since I made and ate a whole pile of it. While I love plain old hummus – I kick it up a notch, but making a variation.
Roasting the tomatoes and the garlic and then adding them to shelled chickpeas along with fresh basil, olive oil, salt and tahini is really my idea of a great twist on the plain versions.
Should I shell the chickpeas?
YES! I say absolutely do it. Removing the shells makes the hummus a bunch smoother and is totally worth the extra step.
How do I shell ’em?
- Add 1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of… BAKING SODA, and mix it around.
- Cook the chickpeas for 2 minutes on high.
- Put them in some cold water, rub between your hands… and the shells just kind of float to the top, so you can throw them away! Easy!!
About Saffron Road Snacks
I am new to Saffron Road, but I’m a huge fan. Why? Aside from being delicious, they are actually pretty good for you! The Chickbean Crisps are gluten free, and contain about 2g of plant based protein per serving. You can SEE the ingredients in the crisps – lentils chickpeas and yellow peas – and they’re made with sweet potato flour!
My favorites though, are the Beanstalks. Three flavors: sea salt, cheddar and barbecue – the cheddar has kind of stolen my heart! 50% less fat than potato chips, and 3 grams of plant-based protein in every serving! Score!
Also pictured on my tray are the Crunchy Chickpeas, they’re super yummy and have some amazing flavors available.
Want to try these snacks for yourself? Of course you do! Enter the giveaway below!
One winner per household, email address, or home address. If you have won this prize on another blog you are ineligible to win again. Winner must have a U.S.-based address to receive the prize.
This Roasted Tomato-Basil hummus is to die for. Roasted tomatoes and garlic paired with olive oil and fresh basil, this is summertime in a bowl.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained, rinsed & shelled
- 2/3 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, and toss them with a little olive oil.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes until softened.
In a food processor, combine shelled chickpeas, tomatoes, 1 tbsp olive oil, basil, tahini, garlic, lemon juice.
- Blend until almost smooth, then taste. Add salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper)
Continue to blend until thoroughly smooth.
- Garnish with extra tomatoes, basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
Pin for later?