This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A gorgeous tomato cream sauce for a quick weeknight meal, this comes together quickly and tastes amazing. Add chicken for a protein boost!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
This is a quick, easy and super tasty tomato cream sauce, and you can rustle this one up in under really fast.
If your evenings are a time crunch, you’re in the right place. This pasta sauce works any time you need a meal fast, and you want it to be awesome!
I love dinners that are less than 30 minute meals that the whole family actually deigns to eat. Add some diced, cooked chicken to bump up the protein. It will be a hit!
This tomato cream sauce is smooth and creamy, and really hard to mess up. I mix it up by using different kinds of pasta, and switching up the seasonings. While Italian Seasoning will always have a place in my heart, Herbs de Provence or Tuscan Seasoning also tastes amazing!
Why this recipe works
- Quick & Easy to make. Under 30 minutes. Boom.
- Pantry ingredients. No need for a run to the store.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
When you drain the pasta save a little of the cooking water to thin your sauce out if needed.
Garnish with fresh basil if you’re feeling fancy!
Adding a pinch of red pepper flakes is awesome in this pasta sauce.
You can use diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes instead of pureed, your sauce will be a little chunkier though.
You can use any type of cooked pasta! I suggest Ditalini (little round tubes), Penne, Spaghetti, Fettuccine, Cappellini or Cavatappi.
What to serve with pasta?
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Fettuccine. See notes box for alternatives
- Olive oil. You can use butter if you prefer!
- Onion. Dice this up finely.
- Garlic. Mince it!
- Tomato sauce. This is similar to passata or tomato puree (not paste, and not tomato ketchup).
- Italian seasoning. Grab it from the store, or use my Italian Seasoning Recipe.
- Sugar. Totally optional. I use this if the canned tomatoes happen to be more acidic than usual. Taste test before adding in.
- Salt and pepper. Adjust to your tastes.
- Heavy cream. Also known as heavy whipping cream. Half and half can be used, but the sauce will not be as thick
- Parmesan cheese. Freshly grated, as always.
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Boil water in a large pot, and cooke the pasta until al dente.
Dice the onions, mince the garlic, open the can of tomato sauce and measure out your heavy cream.
Make the sauce
Add olive oil to a large skillet, heat to a medium heat.
Add the onions and garlic, and cook until soft.
Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil then turn heat down to a simmer until the sauce reduces down a little.
Remove from heat and stir in the cream and parmesan.
Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss for a few minutes. The sauce should cling to the pasta.
Divide up into bowls, and grate parmesan over the top
Want more Easy Pasta Recipes?
Chili Mac with Turkey. We’re bringing childhood back! Lightened-up with turkey vs beef, and made in one pan – this one is a family favorite!
Skillet Mac & Cheese. Comfort food at its finest, this skillet mac & cheese is so easy! Just the skillet and a pasta pot, the and a quick broil, and this is ready FAST!
Florentine Chicken Lasagna Rolls Spinach, garlic, and cheese are all winners for this weeknight dinner! Delicious homemade Alfredo sauce is the key to these!
Ham Tetrazzini. A super-fast weeknight dinner, this Ham Tetrazzini is a spin on the traditional version and is sure to please the whole family.
One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta from The Chunky Chef
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
- Begin by cooking the pasta til al dente.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet, heat to a medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook until soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat down to a simmer until the sauce reduces down a little.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream and parmesan.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss for a few minutes. The sauce should cling to the pasta.
- Divide up into bowls, and grate parmesan over the top.
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.
Update: This recipe was originally published in July of 2013. It was republished with updated photos in March of 2021.