This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Spinach, garlic, and cheese are all winners for this weeknight dinner! Delicious homemade Alfredo sauce is the key to these Florentine Chicken Lasagna Rolls.
Update: This was originally posted in November of 2014, and has been updated to improve reader experience with new photos and better instructions. As always, for your viewing amusement, I keep some of the old photos down the bottom of the post, under recipe card.
Lasagna rolls are not a new concept, but it is definitely a yummy one! We have chicken, spinach and cheese smothered in a delicious homemade alfredo pasta sauce, rolled up in a cooked lasagna noodle, covered in cheese and baked. YES!!!
HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL THIS FEED?
This feeds my family of 4 – but bear in mind, I have 2 little boys that are 5 and 7. They’ll eat 1 roll each, leaving the husband and me 3 each, and to fight over the last one. Just kidding. We don’t fight. He lets me have it, it’s easier that way.
WHY THIS RECIPE IS AWESOME
The key here has to be the homemade alfredo sauce. Seriously, don’t cheat and use one from a jar. I will be very disappointed in you! Ha, just kidding. Do what you must, but at the end of the day – the homemade sauce is what sends this dish into the fabulous zone.
I regularly make this on a Sunday and left it in the fridge for baking on Monday night. Monday nights are just hectic for no other reason than it’s the first night of the week after a leisurely weekend, so things are just HARDER. Having this waiting to be baked in the fridge is a huge time saver, and I was able to do other things instead of prepping and cooking dinner. Even the kids eat this happily. Win!
FOOL YOUR CHILDREN
(We won’t mention that I call it “hulk lasagna” to excuse the green bits that they vehemently insist they hate”
I do hope you enjoy this as much as we do!!
- BUTTER – I use salted butter.
- CREAM CHEESE – you can use fat free, or reduced fat – or full fat. You choose.
- HALF & HALF
- OREGANO – we use this in both the sauce AND the filling.
- GARLIC – anytime you see garlic in a recipe… feel free to double it. I mean, why not?
- PARMESAN – freshly grated or shredded parmesan works best here. Packaged grated parmesan has an additive that can make the sauce grainy.
- LASAGNA NOODLES – we’ll cook these ahead of filling them (it’s hard to roll an uncooked noodle….)
- CHICKEN – Use a rotisserie chicken, or cook your own – see instructions for how to cook chicken breasts in the instant pot.
- SPINACH – fresh baby spinach, shredded.
- MOZZARELLA – I use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese in this.
How to make this recipe:
COOK LASAGNA NOODLES – cook the noodles in a large pot with plenty of salted water, drain, rinse and dry them a little to make them easy to work with.
MAKE THE SAUCE – melt the butter over medium heat and cook the garlic for about a minute. Add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the half & half. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer, whisking frequently until the sauce thickens. Add the 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
MAKE THE FILLING – combine the chicken, spinach and seasonings in a small bowl.
ASSEMBLE – spread about 1/2 cup of the alfredo sauce in the baking dish. Onto each noodle, spread the filling, sauce and some mozzarella. Roll up, and place each one seam side down into the baking dish. Top with remaining alfredo sauce and mozzarella.
BAKE – bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, until heated through and bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
FAQs and Kylee’s Notes
- Add some ricotta cheese to the alfredo sauce, or spoon it onto the lasagna noodles before adding the cooked chicken mixture.
- Make this super easy! Use a rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken yourself.
- Use a 9×13 baking dish
- Switch out the chicken for cooked ground beef, pork or use leftover turkey.
- Switch out the alfredo sauce for tomato sauce – it will be delicious!
- More Pasta Dishes
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Florentine Lasagna Rolls
Make the sauce first:
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the half & half or milk.
- Season with salt and pepper and oregano, bring to a simmer (don’t boil!)and whisk frequently until the sauce thickens about 15 minutes.
- Add the parmesan and whisk until melted and blended.
- Set aside
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water and dry them a little on a paper towel to make them easier to work with
- While the noodles cook, combine the chicken, spinach, and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Spread about half a cup of the alfredo sauce in your baking dish.
- Onto each noodle, spread filling, sauce and some mozzarella, and roll up.
- Place each one seam side down into your baking dish.
- Top with remaining alfredo sauce, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, for around 30 minutes – until heated through and cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.