This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A warm, earthy black bean soup with garlic, cumin and cilantro and a touch of cayenne. Vegetarian, Vegan AND Gluten Free! Ready in 20 minutes!
Sometimes, you just need some soup. And you need dinner in under 30 minutes, too.
Maybe it’s cold, rainy and you’re stuck inside. Or, you’re feeling under the weather, you need to eat, but don’t want to have something too complicated. MAYBE you just love soup and you don’t want to wait all day for it to simmer? This recipe is absolutely delicious, you’ll make it in the middle of summer!
Whatever your need, mood, or circumstance, this gorgeous soup will take just 15 minutes (plus a little cooling time) thanks to canned beans, and it tastes like it cooked all day.
Spend the time drinking wine on your couch instead. You’re welcome!
I make big batches of this – as it freezes beautifully. I just pour it into quarts and stack em up. I love having it there ready for whenever I need soup, but seriously, this takes 20 minutes, so it’s not like I am going to struggle to get this on the table on a weeknight anyway.
Why this recipe works:
- EASY. Seriously. Just a few ingredients, and a quick warm through and you’re done.
- BUDGET FRIENDLY. Commonly found ingredients you probably already have!
- HEALTHY. Black beans are awesome! I always have at least 1 can in my pantry, but I’ve been known to soak black beans overnight too, for exactly this purpose.
They’re heart friendly, full of fiber, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, folate AND Vitamin K.
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
Add some sour cream swirled into the top before serving (not for vegans)
A little chili powder will amp up the heat (see below for how to REALLY amp it up!
Allow to cool completely then store in sealed containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze up to 3 months. To reheat, microwave until fully heated through.
How to make Spicy Black Bean Soup:
- Bump up the cayenne, or add red pepper flakes with the spices.
- Add a can of chopped green chilies when you add the black beans.
- Add hot sauce to your bowl at serving time.
Full, printable recipe below – just scroll down to the recipe card!
How to make Black Bean Soup:
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Saute the onions.
- Add cumin and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add beans, broth, water and seasonings, and simmer.
- Blend with an immersion blender.
Love soup? Me too! Try some of these other great soups!
- Butternut Squash Soup (with apple) – my all-time favorite soup, it’s healthy AND low-fat!
- Thick & Creamy New England Clam Chowder – an old classic, but a good one! It has bacon, so I mean…
- Best Ever Corn Chowder – quite a lofty title, but it’s true. It really is the best!
- ALL SOUP RECIPES:
Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe (just 20 minutes!)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin, cook another minute.
- Add beans, broth, water, salt/pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Either use an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add cilantro, and serve.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.