A warm, earthy black bean soup with garlic, cumin and cilantro and a touch of cayenne. Vegetarian, Vegan AND Gluten Free! Ready in 20 minutes!
Sometimes, you just need some soup.
Maybe it’s cold, rainy and you’re stuck inside. Or, you’re feeling under the weather, you need to eat, but don’t want to have something too complicated. MAYBE you just love soup and you don’t want to wait all day for it to simmer?
Whatever your need, mood, or circumstance, this gorgeous soup will take just 15 minutes (plus a little cooling time) thanks to canned beans, and it tastes like it cooked all day.
Spend the time drinking wine on your couch instead. You’re welcome!Love this black bean soup recipe? TWEET IT!!Click To Tweet
JUST TAKE ME TO THE RECIPE FOR BLACK BEAN SOUP ALREADY!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious easy Black Bean Soup recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
I make big batches of this – as it freezes beautifully. I just pour it into quarts and stack em up. I love having it there ready for whenever I need soup, but seriously, this takes 20 minutes, so it’s not like I am going to struggle to get this on the table on a weeknight anyway.
Black beans are awesome! I always have at least 1 can in my pantry, but I’ve been known to soak black beans overnight too, for exactly this purpose.
They’re heart friendly, full of fiber, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, folate AND Vitamin K.
And they’re delicious.
How to make this Easy Black Bean Soup:
- Saute the onions in oil.
- Add garlic and cumin and cook for a few minutes.
- Add beans, broth, water and seasonings, and simmer.
- Blend with an immersion blender.
How to make Spicy Black Bean Soup:
- Bump up the cayenne, or add red pepper flakes with the spices.
- Add a can of chopped green chilies when you add the black beans.
- Add hot sauce to your bowl at serving time.
Love soup? Me too! Try some of these other great soups!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 small onions diced finely (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped finely
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cumin, cook another minute.
- Add beans, broth, water, salt/pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Either use an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add cilantro, and serve.