This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Vegetable Barley Soup is a vegan/vegetarian bowl of deliciousness that appeals to the whole family! The barley makes it very filling, and the vegetables bring great color and rich flavor.
With the weather being a little gloomy (for like, a day) here in Phoenix, soup is back on the menu. This has such a robust flavor and gorgeous color. It is a healthy and yummy dinner or lunch.
I’m a huge believer of soup being the entire meal, and thankfully my husband agrees with me! I love to make this ahead and let it hang out in the fridge ready for when one of us needs a quick dinner or lunch. The barley adds are really nice chewiness to each bite, but the flavor …. oh, it’s rich and bold and really more-ish.
Why is Vegetable Barley Soup so good?
It fills your belly! AND it’s healthy. Dairy free, vegan – and tastes amazing.
How much does this make?
This made 4 good sized portions for dinner, and 3 lunches for me.
Want MORE soup recipes? Of course you do!
A vegan/vegetarian bowl of deliciousness that appeals to the whole family! The barley makes it very filling, and the vegetables bring great color and rich flavor.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 8 cups vegetable stock (can sub chicken broth but it won't be vegan/vegetarian)
- 14.5oz can can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups baby spinach torn
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, add the water and barley - and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and keep at a bare simmer for 30 minutes, or until the barley is soft.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and 5 minutes. Add the garlic, red bell pepper, carrots and celery and cook until the carrots start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked barley and spinach, simmer until spinach is wilted (about 5 minutes)
- Remove the bay leaves, and season to taste.