This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
30 Minute Dinner Rolls – Make these dinner rolls from scratch in just about 30 minutes!! These are great for holidays, weeknights, basically – any time you need them.
Using a stand mixer and simple ingredients, you can have these homemade rolls on the table FAST!!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
I’ve long been a fan of my bread maker. It takes all the work out of bread and pizza dough, and turns out a consistent product every time. BUT, it takes an hour and a half to be ready to pull out and shape/bake – and then needs to be given more time to rise…. and I needed them (and dinner) to be ready SOON.
Could I have run to the store? Sure. But WHY? When I can make these little beauties from scratch (and now, so can you!!)
These are great for holidays, weeknights, basically – any time you need them.
Can you really make rolls in 30 minutes?
For me, in my oven – they take 30 minutes. However, readers have reported that an extra few minutes in the oven is needed. Since room and oven temperatures vary, this makes total sense. I live in Arizona, so my house is usually pretty warm, which likely makes my rise time faster too.
You need these in your life. Go, make a batch. Please.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Hot dinner rolls. In under an hour. What is not to love?
- This is a super easy recipe to make. You’ll need a stand mixer, or some elbow grease for kneading.
- Commonly found ingredients. Nothing fancy, just check your pantry!
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Water. Heat the water slightly so it is lukewarm but not hot (about 114 degrees F). Too hot and it will kill the yeast. Too cold and your yeast will take longer to bloom.
- Flour. I use bread flour when I have it, and all purpose flour when I don’t.
- Yeast. If you are worried that they’ll be overwhelmingly yeast-y tasting (2 Tbs yeast sounds like a lot), stop worrying – they’re not! These are tender-soft, and and absolutely divine.
- Oil. You can switch the olive oil for a light olive oil vs extra virgin, or simply use canola oil for a milder flavor.
How to make easy homemade bread rolls
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Proof the yeast
Add water, oil, yeast and sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer.
Rest 10 minutes – and let the yeast bloom. It should look puffy (see below)
Make and knead the dough.
Fix the dough hook to your mixer, and add some of the flour, the salt and egg into the yeast mixture.
Mix, adding remaining flour gradually. Let your mixer do the work and let it knead it all together until it becomes a smooth ball. The dough will be fairly soft.
Divide into pieces
Cut the dough into 12 even pieces and roll into smooth balls.
Place in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Allow to rise, covered for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F while you wait!
Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
Brush with butter, and serve!
How to store rolls
Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Oil. You can switch the olive oil for a light olive oil vs extra virgin, or simply use canola oil for a milder flavor.
Flour. I use bread flour when I have it, and all purpose flour when I don’t.
This recipe can also be frozen before baking. Cover tightly with foil and wrap with plastic wrap. Freeze.
Allow to thaw and rise, then bake as normal.
Want more easy bread recipes? How about these?
- Homemade Bagels (just 4 ingredients) – Fresh, warm and chewy, topped with whatever you fancy – these homemade bagels are easy to make and absolutely delicious!
- Crusty Braided Poppy Seed Loaf – A beautiful looking AND tasting bread, this easy Crusty Braided Poppy Seed Loaf will be one you make again and again!
- Maple Oat Skillet Bread – A gorgeous loaf, with a delicious crumb! This Maple Oat Skillet Bread is hearty, delicious and perfect for toasting, sandwiches, or eating with soup. Perfect for Fall! Yum!
30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the warm water, oil, yeast, and sugar.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes (the yeast should bloom, and the mixture will look “puffy”)
- Add 2 cups of the flour, the salt, and the egg into the yeast mixture using a dough hook, and mix.
- Add the remaining flour gradually.
- Let your mixer do the work and let it knead it all together until it becomes smooth ball. The dough will be fairly soft.
- Shape dough into 12 balls and place in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes, and heat your oven to 400F.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until tops are just golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and brush tops with butter.
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.
Update: This recipe was originally published in January of 2016. It was republished with updated photos in October of 2021.