This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Scotcheroos are a no bake dessert classic! We combine a crispy chewy bottom layer with a creamy smooth top layer of chocolate and butterscotch chips. This will be a family favorite!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
A delicious no-bake classic, these Scotcheroos have a crispy chewy bottom layer with a creamy smooth top layer of peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch chips.
I love an easy recipe to make with my kids after school. This recipe is a favorite because it requires no baking time, and everyone LOVES it.
It’s a simple two layer process, where we make the base and then make the topping separately. Then assemble them together, refrigerate and EAT.
Frequently Asked Questions
Scotcheroos got their name after one of their key ingredients, butterscotch. Not much is known about the invention of these chewy treats. However, it was originally printed on boxes of Rice Krispies in the 1960’s.
Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Layer them with parchment paper in between each layer to keep them from sticking together in an airtight container
Why you’ll love this Scotcheroos recipe
- No bake. No oven needed here, folks!
- These are super easy to make, the whole family can get involved.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Honey. I use honey instead of corn syrup. It gives the bars a sweet but nutty flavor, while still remaining the chewiness these bars are known for!
- Brown sugar. Used instead of regular sugar to keep the bars chewy and helps give the bars that caramel flavor and color.
- Peanut butter. Make sure to get good quality creamy peanut butter. We use it both the base and the topping, so don’t hold back!
- Vanilla extract. This adds a delicious flavor to the base.
- Salt. This balances the sweetness!
- Rice Krispies. Any brand of crispy rice cereal will do
- Chocolate chips. I use semi-sweet chocolate chips in the chocolate topping, but you can definitely use milk or dark chocolate.
- Butterscotch chips. I use Nestle Toll House butterscotch chips for this.
Styled Pin Header
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish or spray with cooking spray, set aside.
Make the base
In a medium saucepan combine the honey and brown sugar over low heat. Cook the sugar, stirring constantly until just before mixture boils and and sugar is dissolved, being careful not to over boil. (About a minute).
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add peanut butter, vanilla and salt. Stir until smooth and well blended.
Add the rice krispie cereal to a large mixing bowl. Pour the sugar and peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir to combine it all.
Press cereal mixture into prepared pan using a piece of parchment paper to help smooth it out evenly.
Make the topping
In a microwave safe bowl add the 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch chips. Microwave on low heat for 2-3 minutes stopping to stir it every 30 seconds until completely melted and smooth. You could use another saucepan if you needed to, just be sure to use low heat.
Pour the butterscotch and chocolate mixture on top of the bars and spread evenly.
Refrigerate, Cut and Serve
Place the bars in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden before cutting.
Remove from the refrigerator 10 mins before serving, cut into bars and enjoy.
Store your Scotcheroos at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store in an airtight container, layer them with parchment paper in between each layer to keep them from sticking together.
If you’re a chocolate lover you can make these with chocolate Rice Krispie Cereal!
You can use corn syrup in place of the honey if you prefer.
Try these cookie recipes!
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies. Perfect chocolate chip cookies are the go-to, bees-knees, classic kind of cookie. Crispy, with a little chew, bursting with chocolate chips. Heaven.
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies. Just 4 ingredients in these yummy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies (aka Cheater Cookies).
- Crispy Chewy Oatmeal Cookies. These crispy chewy oatmeal cookies are my absolute ideal cookie. Crisp, with a slight chew, lots of vanilla, and butter and EASY to make!
- Simple Vanilla Caramel Cookies. Easy to make, and filled with aromatic vanilla and sweet caramel, this cookies are a wonderful tasting treat.
- Triple Chocolate Cookies. These soft and chewy triple chocolate cookies are dangerous! They have 3 types of chocolate and are decadent and delicious. Grab a glass of milk!
- ALL COOKIE RECIPES
Scotcheroos Recipe (No-bake Treat!)
- Butter or grease a 9 x 13 inch pan, set aside.
Make the Base
- In a medium sauce pan combine honey and brown sugar over low heat until just before mixture boils and and sugar is dissolved, being careful not to over boil. (About a minute).
- Remove the pan from the heat and add peanut butter, vanilla and salt stirring until smooth and well blended
- Add rice krispies cereal to a big bowl and pour the sugar peanut butter mixture over cereal and stir to combine it all. Press into prepared dish using a piece of parchment paper to help smooth it.
Make the Topping
- In a microwaveable bowl add 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter, butterscotch morsels and chocolate chips. Microwave on low heat for 2-3 minutes stopping to stir it every 30 seconds until completely melted and combined.
- Pour butterscotch and chocolate mixture on top of the bars and spread evenly.
- Place the bars in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutest to allow the chocolate to harden before cutting.
- Remove from the refrigerator 10 mins before serving, cut into bars and enjoy.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.