Delicious Blackberry Pie Bars using a buttery shortbread crust, creamy custard-y filling, topped with more shortbread as a crumble over the top.
My sons attend daycare so I can work and take a lunch break and have paychecks and stuff. Their teachers are phenomenal. They have to be, because one of my sons in particular is somewhat… er… “spirited”.
I thought these bars would be a great way to thank them for all they do. I hope they enjoy!
Aaaah. 117 degrees here in Phoenix today. Can’t go outside. Why not…. uh… heat up the house by BAKING?! Good plan, Kylee! Look at these beauties, though!! Totally worth the A/C bill. Thank you for not alerting my husband to my baking crimes! These Blackberry Pie Bars are faaaaaaabulous. The shortbread crust is crisp and yummy, a custard filling with lemon zest and blackberries, and some of the shortbread crust crumbled on top. Baked… and…. oh my. I really love pie, but feel like these bars are a lot easier to cut and serve (plus, they’re so pretty!!). I think of these more like a crumble, though.
Blackberries are the perfect berry for this – not least because they’re about $1/container right now…. That said, I bet raspberry would be just as fabulous, if those were on sale the week you decide to bake these. For these I used frozen berries, saved from a month or so ago, and with a quick thaw/drain – they were perfect. So, what are you waiting for? What would YOU make if you had a ton of berries?
Want more sweet treats? (of course you do!)
Blackberry Pie Bars
Crust and Topping
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter chilled, 3 sticks
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup flour
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lb blackberries (if frozen thawed and drained)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper, or grease (you choose)
Crust and Topping
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and pulse until the butter is crumbly (about a minute)
- Reserve 1 1/2 Cups of the crust mixture (this is the topping)
- Press the remaining mixture into the baking pan (distribute evenly)
- Bake for 15 minutes - the edges should be JUST starting to brown.
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl, and add the sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, zest and vanilla.
- Add the blackberries and gently fold in.
- Pour the mixture over the crust, then sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (until center is not jiggly).
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Source: As seen on Pink Parsley