This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Delicious Blackberry Pie Bars using a buttery shortbread crust, creamy custard filling, with a crumble over the top.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
These Blackberry Pie Bars are fabulous. The shortbread crust is crisp and yummy, a custard filling with lemon zest and blackberries. We then add some of the shortbread crust crumbled on top. Oh my….
I really love blackberry pie, but feel like these bars are a lot easier to cut and serve. Plus, they’re so pretty!
Blackberries are the perfect berry for this – not least because they go on sale for VERY cheap. That said, raspberries and blueberries work just as well!
This recipe doesn’t use pie crust as the base, instead we do double duty with a shortbread type crust. We use most as the base, but then sprinkle the rest over the top.
Fresh blackberries or frozen blackberries?
Either can be used! If using frozen berries, make sure to thaw and drain before using.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s pie, in bar form. What could be better?
- Super easy to make.
- Budget friendly (if you use in season berries!)
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
Recommended Equipment (affiliate links)
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Flour. All purpose flour, that we use in both the crust/topping and the fruit filling.
- Sugar. Plain white sugar. Used in both the crust/topping and the blackberry filling.
- Salt. This helps balance the sweetness.
- Butter. You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Eggs. I use large eggs, at room temperature.
- Sour Cream. This is in the filling and makes it super yummy, creamy and custardy. You can use regular or low fat with no major taste difference.
- Lemon Zest. Part of how we make these so tasty! Did you know lemon enhances already present flavors? Just like salt, it is a balance.
- Vanilla Extract. Vanilla has a similar role to the lemon zest. It stops flavors from being flat or bland. Don’t leave it out!
- Blackberries. Or raspberries, blueberries, huckleberries, boysenberries etc.
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper, or grease (you choose). Wash your blackberries if you are using fresh ones.
Crust and Topping
In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt.
Add the butter and pulse until the butter is crumbly (about a minute)
Reserve 1 1/2 Cups of the crust mixture for the topping in a small or medium bowl.
Press the remaining mixture into the baking dish (distribute evenly).
Bake for 15 minutes – the edges should be JUST starting to brown.
Make the filling
Whisk the eggs together in a large bowl, and add the sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, zest and vanilla.
Add the blackberries and gently fold in.
Pour the mixture over the crust, then sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes (until center is not jiggly) and the top is golden brown.
Cool completely before cutting into bars.
If you don’t have a food processor, no problem. You can cut the butter into the flour using two forks, or grab an inexpensive pastry blender tool.
How to store
Store Blackberry Pie Bars covered on the counter for a few days. Hide them from your family.
Any kind of berry does great in this recipe. Try blueberries and raspberries!
If using frozen berries, make sure to thaw and drain before using.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Old Fashioned Buttermilk Pie. Flaky pie crust filled with a custard-like filling, that will invoke memories of times gone by.
- Apple Dumplings. Tart apples wrapped in a flaky biscuit and smothered in a buttery vanilla sauce. Topped with crunchy cinnamon sugar, this is a super easy recipe that delivers on taste!
- Blackberry Lemonade (from Yellow Bliss Road). A refreshing summer drink that celebrates the flavors or the season!
- Blackberry Upside Down Cake (from Grumpy’s Honeybunch). A delicious vanilla cake baked on top of a sweetened blackberry bottom. When flipped the blackberry bottom becomes the top.
Blackberry Pie Bars
Crust and Topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper, or grease (you choose)
Crust and Topping
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and pulse until the butter is crumbly (about a minute)
- Reserve 1 1/2 Cups of the crust mixture (this is the topping)
- Press the remaining mixture into the baking pan (distribute evenly)
- Bake for 15 minutes – the edges should be JUST starting to brown.
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl, and add the sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, zest and vanilla.
- Add the blackberries and gently fold in.
- Pour the mixture over the crust, then sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (until center is not jiggly).
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: Posted in 2011, rewritten in 2016, and now reposted in August 2021 with updated photos and process shots.