This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Delicious Blackberry Pie Bars using a buttery shortbread crust, creamy custard-y filling, topped with more shortbread as a crumble over the top.
My sons attend daycare so I can work and take a lunch break and have paychecks and stuff. Their teachers are phenomenal. They have to be, because one of my sons in particular is somewhat… er… “spirited”.
I thought these bars would be a great way to thank them for all they do. I hope they enjoy!
[Tweet “Blackberry Pie Bars from @kyleecooks #recipe #blackberry #dessert #food”]
Aaaah. 117 degrees here in Phoenix today. Can’t go outside. Why not…. uh… heat up the house by BAKING?! Good plan, Kylee! Look at these beauties, though!! Totally worth the A/C bill. Thank you for not alerting my husband to my baking crimes! These Blackberry Pie Bars are faaaaaaabulous. The shortbread crust is crisp and yummy, a custard filling with lemon zest and blackberries, and some of the shortbread crust crumbled on top. Baked… and…. oh my. I really love pie, but feel like these bars are a lot easier to cut and serve (plus, they’re so pretty!!). I think of these more like a crumble, though.
Blackberries are the perfect berry for this – not least because they’re about $1/container right now…. That said, I bet raspberry would be just as fabulous, if those were on sale the week you decide to bake these. For these I used frozen berries, saved from a month or so ago, and with a quick thaw/drain – they were perfect. So, what are you waiting for? What would YOU make if you had a ton of berries?
Want more sweet treats? (of course you do!)
Blackberry Pie Bars
Crust and Topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper, or grease (you choose)
Crust and Topping
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and pulse until the butter is crumbly (about a minute)
- Reserve 1 1/2 Cups of the crust mixture (this is the topping)
- Press the remaining mixture into the baking pan (distribute evenly)
- Bake for 15 minutes - the edges should be JUST starting to brown.
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl, and add the sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, zest and vanilla.
- Add the blackberries and gently fold in.
- Pour the mixture over the crust, then sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (until center is not jiggly).
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Source: As seen on Pink Parsley