This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Apple Dumplings – tart apples wrapped in a flaky biscuit, and smothered in a buttery vanilla sauce. Topped with crunchy cinnamon sugar, this is a super easy recipe that delivers on taste!
Update: This was originally posted in 2011, and has been updated to add new pictures and video!
This apple dumpling recipe is the quintessential Fall dessert for me. Cooking with apples and cinnamon just screams “hey, cooler weather!! come at me, bro!” I live in hope. It’s been still in the 100s this week and last, but we’re hoping for some low 90s VERY soon. How’s the weather where you are? Are you in boots and jackets yet?
This recipe takes just a few minutes to throw together – I typically make it as I’m serving up dinner, and throw it in the oven as we sit down. I can bribe my kids to eat pretty much anything when they smell dumplings in the oven!
My family loves this – and I hope yours does too!
- REFRIGERATED BISCUITS – any kind works, buttermilk or flakey. All are good!
- APPLES – Granny Smith apples work best in this recipe. With the sweet sauce and topping, the tartness of this kind of apple helps balance it out.
- SUGAR – you may replace the sugar in the sauce with brown sugar, if you like!
- BUTTER – I use salted butter
How to make this recipe:
Full, printable recipe below – just scroll down to the recipe card!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the topping together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pop open the biscuits and using a serrated knife, slice them in halves lengthways.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut into 8ths.
- Wrap an apple slice (uncut side down) in a biscuit and place into a greased baking dish. Repeat with remaining apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, butter and vanilla. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the butter melts, and the sugar dissolves.
- Pour over the top of the dumplings.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, the top will be golden brown and the apples tender.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
- Do you have to refrigerate? Yes! If you don’t scarf it all in one sitting, cover it and store in the fridge.
- Switch out the white sugar in the sauce for brown sugar – you’ll get a wonderfully caramel flavored sauce.
- Want some more easy dessert recipes?
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
- 8 canned biscuits (I use the flaky kind)
- 2 apples peeled cored and cut into 8ths
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Separate the biscuits in the can, and then cut them lengthwise so you have 16 circles of dough.
- Wrap each apple slice in one circle of dough, encasing the apple slice completely.
- Place the dumplings into a buttered dish.
MAKE THE TOPPING
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
MAKE THE SAUCE
- Put 1 cup of the sugar, water, butter and vanilla into a saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over the apple dumplings, and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar topping
- Bake for around 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla icecream if desired!
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.