This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Super tasty southwestern egg rolls with sweet corn, black beans, spinach and cilantro. These are as tasty as they sound!
Every time I see Southwest Egg Rolls on a menu, I HAVE to order them. Sometimes I just order two, and eat that as my dinner. It’s how I roll. Pun totally intended.
I like to make the filling ahead and keep it in the refrigerator until right before I want to make them. It means hot, fresh egg rolls are within my reach within 15 minutes of baking time (and a little rolling time!!)
- SWEET CORN – thaw if frozen
- BLACK BEANS – drained and rinsed
- CHEESE – I use cheddar
- SPINACH – I use frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed until most of the moisture is removed
- GREEN ONIONS & CILANTRO – super essential, don’t skip!!
- GREEN CHILES – grab a can of these!
- CUMIN, CHILI POWDER, SALT/PEPPER – these flavor our egg rolls up!
- EGG ROLL WRAPPERS – I get these in the refrigerated section of my grocery store.
How to make Baked Egg Rolls:
Full, printable recipe below – just scroll down to the recipe card!
PREP! Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly spray two baking sheets with olive oil and set aside.
MAKE THE FILLING In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the egg roll wrappers and stir to thoroughly combine. (Pics 1 & 2)
WRAP THE EGG ROLLS – Working one at a time, put an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface. Pour some water into a small dish and set next to where you are rolling.
Place about a 1/4 cup of the mixture on the center of the wrapper, spreading out in a line, leaving space on each side (see pic 4)
Fold the corners in as shown in pics 5-7. Using your finger or a brush, lightly wet the edges of the remaining top corner of the wrapper. Finish rolling the filled egg roll over the wet corner so that it sticks!
Place wrapped egg roll onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Lightly brush the tops with oil (Pic 8) and bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through until the egg rolls are golden brown.
Devour. (try this avocado dipping sauce from Barefeet in the Kitchen)
FAQs and Kylee’s Tips
Be careful with how full you stuff these, as they can burst open. A double egg roll wrapper method would absolutely help with that (and be able to stuff lots more deliciousness in them!)
WAYS TO MIX IT UP
- Add some cooked and shredded chicken to the mix.
- Add a little ground pork (fully cooked) to the filling.
- Add some roasted red bell peppers into the mix – pretty color and a slightly sweet flavor.
- Instead of egg roll wrappers – you could always us
HOW TO DEEP FRY EGG ROLLS
- Instead of baking, you may of course deep fry these egg rolls. Fill a wok or large, solid pot with 2 inches of canola or vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 350°F or until a cube of bread becomes golden brown within 10 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, lower the egg rolls carefully into the oil – 6 at a time, occasionally turning until the egg rolls are golden brown. This should only take about 1½ minutes.
- Want more southwestern food? Try these!!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – hearty and warming with just the right amount of spice, blended with cheese, topped off with jalapenos, cilantro, and crispy tortilla strips.
- Spicy Chicken Soft Tacos – Delicious, easy to make soft chicken tacos that will kick your Taco Tuesday habit up a notch! Topped with anything you like, this is a recipe you’ll make again and again.
- Homemade Corn Tortillas – an easy way to add more homemade deliciousness to taco night with your very own, hot-off-the-pan corn tortillas!
- Simple Sour Cream Enchiladas – – a very easy recipe made with a creamy homemade green & white sauce. A family-friendly weeknight winner!
- Easy Southwest Pasta Salad – Black beans, corn, red peppers, jalapenos, cilantro and red onions feature in this easy to make pasta salad. With the addition of the lime vinaigrette… oh, myyyyyyy.
Baked Southwestern Eggrolls
- 2 cups corn (thawed (if frozen))
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 10oz frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 4 oz can green chiles (drained)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp prepared chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 24 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly spray two baking sheets with olive oil and set aside.
Make the filling
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the egg roll wrappers and stir to thoroughly combine.
Wrap the egg rolls
- Working one at a time, put an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface. Pour some water into a small dish and set next to where you are rolling.
- Place about a ¼ cup of the mixture on the center of the wrapper, spreading out in a line (see pics for reference), leaving space on each side.
- Fold the corners in as shown in the pics.
- Using your finger or a brush, lightly wet the edges of the remaining top corner of the wrapper.
- Finish rolling the filled egg roll over the wet corner so that it sticks!
- Place wrapped egg roll onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Cook the egg rolls
- Lightly brush the tops with oil and bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through until the egg rolls are golden brown.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This was originally posted in August of 2014, and has been updated to improve reader experience including new photos.