This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Vegan Sweet Potato Curry made with warm spices, creamy coconut and crunchy cashews – make this a really worthwhile dinner. Served with basmati rice, or just in a bowl on its own, this curry hits all the right spots.
I’m a huge fan of this Vegan Sweet Potato Curry. It SEEMS like a lot of ingredients, and I suppose it is – but most of them are spices, that you’re going to blend into some serious deliciousness.
I used to make this on New Year’s Eve (of all days), because I had a bunch of friends who had varying dietary needs.
This vegan sweet potato curry is a favorite for everyone. Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan it’s low in fat, and high in veggies… about the only person, it won’t make happy is someone on a low-carb diet. But the rest totally counts for something, right?
Vegan Sweet Potato Curry with Spinach & Cashews
- 1/2 tsp whole cardamom seeds
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tbs ginger fresh grated
- 1.5 lb sweet potato peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock can sub chicken if you’re not vegetarian
- 1 cup toasted cashews can sub almonds
- 3 cups baby spinach
- cooked basmati rice
- Put cardamom, peppercorns, cumin, coriander, mustard seeds and chilli flakes in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon spices and turmeric into a spice grinder (or mortar and pestle) and grind to a powder.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add oil and saute the onion until it softens, and add garlic and ginger.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and toss in spice mixture.
- Add coconut milk and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Just before serving, add spinach and cashews and toss for 1 minute.
- Serve with hot cooked basmati rice.