This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Vegan Sweet Potato Curry made with warm spices, creamy coconut and crunchy cashews – make this a really worthwhile dinner. Served with basmati rice, or just in a bowl on its own, this vegan sweet potato curry hits all the right spots.
As you may know, I don’t have a lot of time on weeknights, so I have been using a little shortcut in the form of Veetee Rice. Done in 2 minutes, it tastes good and is ready to go when we are.
I opted to use the Veetee Dine In Basmati Rice in this dish, and it is great for this -perfect, non-sticky rice and a yummy dinner – done, in 20 minutes? YES PLEASE!!
How to make Vegan Sweet Potato Curry with Spinach and Cashews:
- Begin by toasting your spices.
- Grind them in a mortar and pestle til they are a fine powder, then add the turmeric.
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger, then add the ground spices and sweet potatoes.
- Add the stock and coconut milk, and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Fold in the baby spinach leaves, and sprinkle with cashews.
Love Vegetarian or Vegan Recipes? Here’s some more!Vegan Sweet Potato Curry with Spinach & CashewsPrep Time5 minsCook Time15 minsTotal Time20 mins
Vegan Sweet Potato Curry made with warm spices, creamy coconut and crunchy cashews - make this a really worthwhile dinner. Served with basmati rice, or just in a bowl on its own, this hits all the right spots!Course: Dinner, LunchCuisine: IndianServings: 2 servingsCalories: 1263 kcalIngredients
- 1/2 tsp whole cardamom seeds
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Tbs Tbs peanut or coconut oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tbs grated ginger fresh
- 1.5 lb sweet potato peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock can sub chicken if you're not vegetarian
- 1-2 9.9 oz packages Veetee Dine In Basmati Rice
- 1 cup toasted cashews can sub almonds
- 2 good handfuls baby spinach
- Put cardamom, peppercorns, cumin, coriander, mustard seeds and chilli flakes in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon spices and turmeric into a spice grinder (or mortar and pestle) and grind to a powder.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add oil and saute the onion until it softens, and add garlic and ginger.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and toss in spice mixture.
- Add coconut milk and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Heat your Veetee Dine In Basmati Rice in the microwave according to package directions.
- Just before serving, add spinach and cashews and toss for 1 minute.
Recipe VideoNutrition FactsVegan Sweet Potato Curry with Spinach & CashewsAmount Per ServingCalories 1263 Calories from Fat 603% Daily Value*Total Fat 67g 103%Saturated Fat 38g 190%Sodium 712mg 30%Potassium 2233mg 64%Total Carbohydrates 149g 50%Dietary Fiber 15g 60%Sugars 22gProtein 26g 52%Vitamin A 1026.5%Vitamin C 30.5%Calcium 23.1%Iron 73.6%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.