This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This Mocha Coffee Smoothie is the perfect way to start the day. It is breakfast in a glass!
Just 5 minutes, and it will fill you up AND caffeinate you. Perfect for mornings on the run!
Mornings don’t HAVE to be awful – especially if you can combine coffee, chocolate and bananas and call it “breakfast”! Drinking a smoothie is my favorite way to start the day. Best of all, it takes just a few minutes (less if you prep ahead!) and you can take it with you as you run out the door!
My mornings are sometimes pretty crazy. With everything going on, and all the people around – I sometimes walk out the door, drive to work and arrive and realize – I’ve skipped breakfast. Again.
Smoothies are a great way to jump-start your day – especially if you’re not a person who likes to eat in the morning! (I don’t know who you people are, but I know you exist – I can eat any time of day – just saying)
This coffee smoothie recipe couldn’t be easier – simple ingredients that are super customizable to your needs, this is going to be YOUR go-to!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Make ahead
- Easy to adapt
- Simple ingredients
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
Prep ahead! Put all the ingredients except the bananas in your blender jug, and refrigerate. In the morning, throw in the bananas, blend and go!
You can use cold brewed coffee if you prefer, just use a little less milk (the flavor will be incredible)
- Switch the almond milk for coconut, or regular dairy.
- Add vanilla protein powder to REALLY bulk this breakfast out.
- Peanut butter, almond butter, any kind of nut butter, really!
- Chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds
- Either greek yogurt, vanilla extract or some vanilla yogurt.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. For that chocolate fix! Mix it with a little water (with the coffee powder) to make sure it is well before putting in the blender.
Instant Coffee Powder. This, combined with the cocoa powder will give that delicious mocha flavor.
Milk. Anything will do! Try almond, coconut, cashew, oat or soy for dairy free. Or just use regular milk.
Bananas. I prefer ripe, firm and bright yellow bananas. If you have a frozen banana, use that instead!
Ice cubes. Break out the ice cube tray!! Optional, but I like my smoothies COLD
How to make a Mocha Smoothie
- Gather your ingredients.
- Blend together the water, sugar, coffee powder, and cocoa powder until dissolved.
- Add the mixture, along with the milk, bananas, and ice to a blender.
- Blast it, baby!
Mocha Coffee Smoothie
- In a large cup, combine the water, sugar, coffee powder and cocoa and mix until all is dissolved. (If using espresso, skip the water and just stir in the sugar and cocoa).
- Add the coffee mixture, the almond milk, bananas and ice to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This recipe was originally published in May of 2017. It was republished with updated photos in June of 2022.