This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
An excellent make-ahead Summery Vegan Chickpea Salad, that will stay good for a few days in the fridge, making this perfect for lunches.
I’ve always called a chickpea a chickpea, but here in Arizona, it’s commonly referred to as a garbanzo bean. They’re also known as Egyptian Peas! Whether you call this a Vegan Chickpea Salad or a Vegan Garbanzo Bean Salad – makes no difference to me -as long as you make and enjoy this!
The Husband and I both love this recipe (he’s never met a bean he didn’t like), so I regularly do stealth leftovers. ie, I put some aside for myself before I even serve it… I’m not ashamed.
I mix this up on a weekend, or even a weekday morning – ready for munching on for dinner, or grabbing a container for lunch. It keeps for about 3 days in the fridge.
Don’t be fooled by how easy this simple chickpea salad is to make! It packs an AMAZING flavor, that people always ask for the recipe anytime I bring it to a BBQ or potluck. Hot tip: double, triple and quadrule the recipe – you won’t regret it!
We are not vegans (we’re not even vegetarians), but honestly – people with all different dietary needs can appreciate this one. It’s gluten free, dairy free as WELL as being vegan and vegetarian.
Sorry keto and paleo folks, the chickpeas count you out – but that’s more for me! 1 cup of chickpeas will provide 39 grams of protein, so you’re covered for the afternoon if you make this a lunch.
How to make a Vegan Chickpea Salad
Whisk together the vinegar and oil, add the seasonings.
Chop the cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and peppers; drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.
Add the dressing to the vegetables, and test for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
- This is only missing a few ingredients to make this more of a Mediterranean Chickpea Salad (namely olives and feta), but it has fantastic flavors without either of those items.
- Add some avocado for a creamy addition of deliciousness.
- I make this chickpea salad with cucumber, but I’ve also subbed in some raw zucchini – with great success.
Want more salad? Of course you do!
Summery Vegan Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 1 cup grape tomatoes medium
- 1/2 red bell pepper large
- 1/2 red onion small
- 15oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
For the dressing
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
For the Salad
- Dice the cucumber, onion, bell pepper and tomatoes.
- Put vegetables and garbanzo beans in a large bowl.
- Combine veggies and dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors combine.