This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
An excellent make-ahead Summery Vegan Chickpea Salad, that will stay good for a few days in the fridge. This is perfect for packing for lunch, or an easy and fast dinner.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
I’ve always called a chickpea a chickpea, but here in Arizona, it’s commonly referred to as a garbanzo bean. They’re also known as Egyptian Peas! Whether you call this a Chickpea Salad or a Garbanzo Bean Salad makes no difference to me. What matter is you make and enjoy this!
The Husband and I both love this recipe (he’s never met a bean he didn’t like). I regularly do stealth leftovers. ie, I put some aside for myself before I even serve it… I’m not ashamed.
Make this quickly on a weekend or a weekday morning. It’s ready for munching on for dinner, or bring a container for lunch. It keeps for about 3 days in the fridge.
Don’t be fooled by how easy this simple chick pea salad is to make! It packs an AMAZING flavor, that people always ask for the recipe anytime I bring it to a BBQ or potluck. Hot tip: double, triple and quadruple the recipe – you won’t regret it!
We are not vegan (we’re not even vegetarian), but honestly – people with all different dietary needs can appreciate this one. It’s gluten free, dairy free as WELL as being vegan and vegetarian. It’s a pretty decent complete meal, actually. You could serve it with mixed greens, for more bulk if you prefer.
Did you know?
1 cup of chickpeas will provide 39 grams of protein. You’re covered for the afternoon if you make this a lunch.
Why this recipe works:
- Fast. The time it takes to open a can of beans, and chop some veggies, and you’re done!
- Easy. No culinary degree required.
- Nutritious. SO good for you
- Delicious. It isn’t enough to be good for you, it has to be epic tasting, too!
- Budget-friendly. Use what you have on hand!
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
If making ahead, some dressing will settle on the bottom, so stir before serving.
What to do with leftovers
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This is only missing a few ingredients to make this more of a Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. Add some olives and feta cheese if you’d like to.
Add some avocado for a creamy addition of deliciousness.
I make this chickpea salad with cucumber, but I’ve also subbed in some raw zucchini – with great success.
Fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley go well in this salad.
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
Whisk together the vinegar and oil, add the seasonings. Set aside.
Chop the cucumber, grape or cherry tomatoes, onions, and red bell peppers; drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.
Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl, and add the dressing.
Test for seasoning, then season with salt and pepper as desired.
Some of our favorite salad recipes:
- Summery White Bean Salad. Served chilled or at room temperature, this Summery White Bean Salad is great to make ahead, or to grab and go! A short prep time means you can have it on the table fast!
- Easy Southwest Pasta Salad with Lime Vinaigrette Dressing. Black beans, corn, red peppers, jalapenos, cilantro and red onions feature in this easy to make pasta salad. With the addition of the lime vinaigrette… oh, myyyyyyy.
- Caprese Orzo Salad (Basil Tomato Mozzarella). An easy side, this salad combines tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil with a yummy homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Make ahead!
- Grilled Vegetable Salad with Tarragon Dressing. A spectacular, smoky charcoal-grilled vegetable salad, bursting with flavor. This is an easy side that you can make ahead or make with the family!
- Roasted Beet Salad with Feta & Walnuts. Made with feta and roasted walnuts, drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette. The beets are the star of the show!
- Arugula Salad (with Lemon Vinaigrette). This is the one you’ve been looking for! Peppery arugula mixed with bright tomatoes, parmesan, and dressed with fresh lemon vinaigrette. Perfection!
- Kale Salad (with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette). Simple ingredients and simple instructions (including how to massage kale) make this Kale Salad Recipe an absolute keeper!
- Easy Coleslaw (Homemade Coleslaw Dressing Recipe). Basic ingredients make this Homemade Coleslaw Recipe a cinch to make! With a Creamy Coleslaw Dressing, this side will be a welcome addition to any table.
- Easy Italian Salad (from Spend with Pennies)
- Chopped Asparagus Salad (from View from the Great Island)
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
Summery Vegan Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 1 cup grape tomatoes medium
- 1/2 red bell pepper large
- 1/2 red onion small
- 15oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
For the Salad
- Dice the cucumber, onion, bell pepper and tomatoes.
- Put vegetables and garbanzo beans in a large bowl.
- Combine veggies and dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors combine.
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.