A delicious and fast weeknight winner. Marinating the chicken while you prep the other ingredients makes this Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry fabulous!
Another good weeknight dinner. Easy to throw together and has a really nice balance of flavours. I don’t know about you, but back to school, back to work, end of summer etc makes weeknight dinners a real time crunch. Getting dinner on the table as quickly as possible after arriving home is KEY to avoiding meltdowns (my own and my children’s). I like to throw the chicken in a bowl with the marinade the night before (while I’m doing dishes), ready for cooking the following night. A little prepping ahead makes this even faster than the directions I’ve included below. I chop and prep the garlic, ginger and the sauces, and pre cook my rice ahead of time. Literally the only thing left to do when walking in the door, is pull the chicken out, and start cooking! Looking for more weeknight winners? These meals can be made within 30 minutes, too!
Chicken Broccoli Stir-fry
Marinate the chicken while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed
- 3 scallions thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1- inch piece peeled fresh ginger minced
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs dark sesame oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil
- 5-6 cups broccoli trimmed sliced stalks and medium florets
- 2 tsp red chili flakes optional
- 1 Tbs hoisin sauce
- : toasted sesame seeds optional
- Jasmine rice
- In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the scallion whites, about half the garlic and ginger, the soy sauce, sugar, 1 tsp of the cornstarch, 1 tsp of the salt, and the sesame oil.
- Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Mix the remaining cornstarch with 1/3 cup water.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 1 Tbs of the oil and heat.
- Add the broccoli stems, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the florets and the remaining garlic, ginger, 2 Tbs of water, and season with 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper.
- Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Get the skillet good and hot again, and then heat 2 more Tbs oil.
- Add the chicken and chili flakes if using. Stir-fry until the chicken loses its raw color and gets a little brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the hoisin sauce, return the broccoli to the pan and toss to heat through. Stir in the reserved cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil to thicken. Add more water if need to thin the sauce, if necessary. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if you like.
- Divide among 4 plates and garnish with sesame seeds; serve with rice.