|Amaretto is a sweet, almond-flavoured, Italian liqueur|
Oooh look! A recipe for something that doesn’t involve chicken or grilling! Don’t panic, chicken is still on the menu… and the grill is still fired up. We have a cleaning lady who comes every other week (please don’t hate me). I pink-puffy-heart her. So that she’ll stay, and not ever ever leave me, I made her a little treat. I HAPPEN to know she loves Amaretto, so I went looking for a recipe, and found this one from Erica’s Kitchen Adventures. It took about… 10 minutes to make, and made two of these little bottles. And hopefully a cleaning lady for life. Could be great for Christmas gifts too! What to do with Amaretto? Aside from making cocktails, you could:
- Add to desserts, including ice cream, which enhances the flavour of the dessert with almonds and complements chocolate. Tiramisu is often flavoured with either real amaretto or alcohol-free amaretto aroma.
- Add to whipping cream for an almond flavor
- Add to pancake batter!
If you MUST make cocktails (and I suggest that you must), try these!
- French Connection. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Cognac and ice cubes
- Godfather. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Scotch and ice cubes.
- Godmother. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Vodka and ice cubes.
- Godchild. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Cream and ice cubes.
- Toasted Almond. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Kahlúa, Cream and ice cubes.
- Bocce Ball. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Orange juice, Club soda and ice cubes.
- Cuban Breeze. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Vodka, Pineapple juice and ice cubes.
- Lounge Lizard. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Dark Rum, Cola and ice cubes.
- Amaretto Sour. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Sweet and Sour Mix.
DIY: Homemade Amaretto
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cup vodka
- 2 Tbs almond extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sterilize your bottles. Combine water and sugars in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until mixture is boiling, and all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vodka, almond and vanilla extracts and then store in the sterilized, sealed bottles.