This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe is the real deal. Sweet, salty and perfectly balanced with the addition of garlic and ginger – who needs take-out? Add it to some chicken, serve it over rice. Hello, dinner!
Ever get to the end of a long day, and want dinner super fast, but also want something other than frozen pizza or a bowl of cereal? Yeah, me too.
Homemade teriyaki sauce is YUMMY. It takes so little time, and will be done before your chicken and rice are cooked (around the same time if you prep ahead with pre-cooked chicken and have some rice hanging about too).
Add something green on the side, and you have yourself quite the tasty dinner without resorting to calling for take-out!
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients:
- SOY SAUCE – low sodium or regular is fine. I use a gluten free tamari – when I need for this to be gluten free
- SUGAR – plain, white sugar. Can sub honey or agave if you roll that way
- LEMON JUICE – do yourself a favor and squeeze your own. The bottled kind just doesn’t taste good!!
- GARLIC – freshly minced. Can sub garlic powder if that’s what you have
- GINGER – I like to use freshly grated, but you can easily sub for the powdered kind
- WATER – ’nuff said
- CORNSTARCH – this will help thicken the sauce – use certified gluten free cornstarch to ensure that it’s gluten free if you need that!
Did I mention that it is easy? And, gluten-free? (I use a gluten free soy sauce and certified gluten-free cornstarch in case you were wondering).
My kids are notorious for not eating anything I spend any kind of time making for them, so I thought SINCE the husband is not home tonight, *they* can eat cereal – but *I* am having something good. I got 2 bites of this. They’re lucky they’re cute. H thought this was excellent. He called it “chicken candy sauce”. Um.
It’s a salty, sweet, sauce that thickens to a perfect texture, just right for drizzling over your chicken. A quick sprinkle of some sesame seeds (or not, whatever), and dinner is DONE.
This recipe makes 1 cup of sauce, so use it all tonight – or save some for later in the fridge
How to make Teriyaki Sauce:
- So easy! Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for a few minutes, until thickened and syrupy.
Want more easy recipes? Of course you do!
This homemade Teriyaki Sauce is the real deal. Sweet, salty and perfectly balanced with the addition of garlic and ginger - who needs take-out? Add it to some chicken, serve it over rice. Hello, dinner!
- Cooked chicken
- Sesame seeds optional
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 2-3 mins until thickened.
- Drizzle over cooked chicken and rice.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Yield: 1 cup