This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Fresh salmon, pan-seared, then oven-roasted to finish – topped with a delicious balsamic glaze, This Glazed Salmon Recipe is SO GOOD!!
The glaze is made from balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, garlic and dijon mustard. Yum!
Update: This was originally posted in 2017 and has been updated to improve reader experience with newer photos, and clearer instructions. The recipe remains the same!
You guys, this is a GREAT dinner for date night (or any old night, really). It is super simple – which is always the best way, and really good for you. This Pan-Seared Salmon would be really good for tonight!
This is a meal I make for my husband as often as I can – he’s a huge fan of balsamic glazed salmon, and I really eat salmon as much as I should. It’s SO tasty, and the entire family enjoys it.
DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE GLAZE! The glaze is easy enough to make while your salmon cooks. Just keep it warm, ready for drizzling over the top.
HOW TO COOK SALMON ON THE STOVE
I really like the method of pan crisping (for those lovely brown bits), then finishing off by roasting in the oven. You really don’t want to OVER cook salmon, so do keep an eye on it. Depending on the thickness of your salmon, 5-8 minutes will be perfect in the oven (after crisping). It will flake easily with a fork – it’s pretty easy, I promise!
- Salmon – I use smaller filets, around 5oz. These can be any kind of salmon you prefer.
- Olive Oil – you can use Extra Virgin or a light blend, either will work.
- Balsamic Vinegar – my favorite kind of vinegar. Dark, sweet, and with an intense flavor, it’s key to this. Please don’t sub it for any other kind!!
- Maple Syrup – this is NOT pancake syrup, folks. Use pure maple syrup, or substitute honey, or agave syrup.
- Dijon Mustard – this gives the glaze a lovely flavor.
- Garlic – freshly minced, don’t sub powder here. Don’t go too crazy with the garlic!
How to cook Salmon
Begin by preheating the oven. We’re going to be using it really soon! If you are using salmon with the skin on, I recommend you remove it.
Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet (or use an olive oil cooking spray). Season up the salmon fillets with salt and black pepper and add salmon to the skillet. We’re pan-searing, then finishing in the oven – so don’t worry about cooking it all the way through on the stovetop. You’ll cook it for 2 minutes on each side, before baking in the oven for about 5-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of your salmon, and the size of each piece).
We’re pan-searing, then finishing in the oven – so don’t worry about cooking it all the way through on the stovetop. You’ll cook it for 2 minutes on each side, before baking in the oven for about 5-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of your salmon, and the size of each piece).
Meanwhile, add the glaze ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes until the glaze turns syrupy and thickened. See the spoon? It should look like that.
When the salmon is perfectly cooked, and the glaze suitably syrupy, plate it up! Place the salmon on your plate (with some green beans if you are doing those), and drizzle with the Balsamic Glaze. Bring extra glaze to the table in a small bowl. Devour immediately.
FAQs and Kylee’s Notes
IS SALMON GOOD FOR ME?
You betcha it is! It is:
– Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
– Rich in high-quality protein
– Excellent source of B vitamins
– a good source of Potassium
– May reduce the risk of heart disease
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SALMON
I serve this with green beans. You could do any vegetable of course – and serve with some risotto, quinoa etc – whatever you like! I sometimes make some roasted potatoes alongside it – but that does extend the time in the kitchen. You choose!
- How about some more salmon?
- Want more easy weeknight meals?
- This Italian Style Mozzarella Skillet is the stuff of DREAMS. Try it!
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Pan Seared Salmon with Balsamic Glaze
- 2 5oz salmon fillets
- 1.5 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Add glaze ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer 2-3 minutes, or until glaze turns syrupy and glaze-y. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat about 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil in a medium oven-proof pan over medium heat.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper on both sides, and add to the hot pan.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side (will release easily from pan when ready to flip). Should be a golden brown. on the surface.
- Remove from the heat – and place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake 5-8 minutes, or to your liking (will depend on thickness and size of your salmon).
- To serve – place a salmon fillet on each plate and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.