Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is hearty and warming with just the right amount of spice, blended with cheese, topped off with jalapenos, cilantro, and crispy tortilla strips.
Yay, soup!! Brr, it’s been so cold here in Arizona. The rest of the country is “waiting for winter” but… I’m cold. The heat went out in the house around midnight on Saturday night (awesome, right?) and while we figured out what to do/how to fix it… I thought I’d better get a batch of cheesy chicken tortilla soup on the stove to warm us all up.
Turned out the problem was … dead batteries in the thermostat. Doh! Whatever, we had SOUP.
Soup is fabulous year round, in my opinion – a big ole bowl of yum. I’ve been known to eat it in the middle of summer because I love it so much. I love that it’s so easy to freeze in one serving portions, so I can grab a different soup every day of the week to take to work for lunch.
This chicken tortilla soup is a favorite because of the southwestern flavors so common in Arizona. We have a lot of affordable and great quality produce available year round!
I love having this soup for parties – and using a toppings bar so everyone can put their own spin on their soup! I make homemade corn tortillas, if I’m feeling fancy!
Set out limes, jalapenos, cilantro, tortilla strips, and extra cheddar cheese for guests.Love this? tweet it!Click To Tweet
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Saute onions and peppers in some oil.
- Add some spices, you’ll need: garlic, cumin, coriander, and cayenne!
- Add some cooked chicken, chicken stock, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chilies, and cheese.
- Simmer until the cheese melts, then add cream.
- Top with jalapenos, cilantro, and crispy tortilla strips
Kylee’s Notes for Chicken Tortilla Soup
- This soup is best eaten within a few days.
- Switch out the cheese for cream cheese – it will also add a great tang to the finished soup.
- Add more or less cayenne depending on your spice tolerance.
Want more easy soup recipes? Of course you do!
A hearty and warming creamy chicken tortilla soup with just the right amount of spice, blended with cheese, topped off with jalapenos, cilantro, and crispy tortilla strips.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 3 cups cooked chicken diced/shredded
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15oz can sweet corn drained and rinsed
- 14.5oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4oz can green chiles
- 8oz oz cheese (I used velveeta but cheddar works great too)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped
- Garnish - Optional
- jalapeños fresh cilantro, crispy corn tortilla strips (just cut 3 or 4 into strips and fryhot oil for a minute or two until crispy)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
Cook the onion and green pepper until softened, then add the garlic, cumin, coriander, and cayenne and cook for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the cream , and cook over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until cheese is melted, and the soup is warmed through.
- Remove the pot from heat, stir in the cream.
Serve with jalapeños, cilantro, and tortilla strips.