This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Crispy, with a yummy crust, and juicy meat. This Easy Oven Fried Chicken Recipe is my go-to. Perfect for family dinners, or bringing to a pot luck!
Crispy, flavorful skinned chicken thighs or drumsticks, with all the sides just screams YUMMY to me, and feels like a real meal, instead of a burger, fries and a drink.
This Easy Oven Fried Chicken Recipe fits the bill!
I serve these little lovelies with some sneaky mac & cheese (go check it out for why it’s sneaky!), biscuits, homemade coleslaw, and sometimes I throw some wedges in the oven too. Because who doesn’t need more carbs in their life? Clearly I need to work on the “balance” in a meal… mmhmm.
Or, I serve them with some mac & cheese and whatever green veggies I have floating around. That works too.
This Easy Oven Fried Chicken Recipe without buttermilk isn’t the traditional brined chicken that we are all well versed in, and instead uses a non-fat Greek yogurt and spices to marinate the chicken in first, then a flour blend and spices crust. Then baked, not fried.
Just 30 minutes, but up to an hour for marinating – and you’re ready to shake and bake!
We love this, and make it again. And again. I think next time I need a dish for a potluck, I’ll just do a big batch of these, and claim my crown as “Queen of the good dish bringers” There probably isn’t a crown for that, but there totally should be.
Here’s the original pic – from a few years ago, showing this recipe using thighs.
Want more chicken? Of course you do!
Oven Fried Chicken
For the Marinade
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 5-8 chicken pieces
For the Crust
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine yogurt, mustard, garlic, pepper in a bowl, add mixture to a Ziploc bag. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat.
- Zip the bag closed, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Line a rimmed baking/cookie sheet with foil, add a wire rack and spray with olive oil (lightly)
- Blend together the flour, paprika, thyme, baking powder salt and pepper in a large Ziploc bag.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade bag, shake off excess marinade, and add a piece to the flour bag.
- Shake each piece until fully coated, then remove and shake off excess coating and place on an oiled rack set over a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining chicken. Throw out the remaining marinade and flour mixture.
- Lightly spray chicken with olive oil (using a mister) and bake until golden brown and when you get a reading of 160°F on a digital thermometer (test the thickest part of the meat). It will take around 45-60 minute for thighs, around 30-35 for drumsticks
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool a little.