This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Tired of dull flavorless weeknight meals? This one pan southwestern style pasta will have you fighting your family for the leftovers.
I’m a huge fan using packaged sausages in weeknight meals. I use them at least once a week to pull together dinner really quickly. Most varieties are fully cooked, so you can even snack on pieces of it while you cook! Total bonus.
You can buy packaged sausages in a variety of flavors, I like a spicy jalapeno sausage for this recipe. Combined with complementary flavors from the southwest…it gives your taste buds the flavor they deserve…. this delicious weeknight winner.
Use pantry staples that you likely already have, and bring some bold flavor to the table.
One Pan Southwestern Style Pasta
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
- 12 oz jalapeno flavored sausage sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 14.5oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4oz can green chiles diced
- 8 oz pasta rotini
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper each
- 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15.25oz can sweet corn drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 Tbs cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Add olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add the cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes (if using) and garlic, and cook until fragrant (about a minute).
- Add the sliced sausages, and cook another minute.
- Add chicken broth, half and half, tomatoes, chiles, pasta, and seasonings.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Add the black beans and sweet corn and heat for a few minutes, until beans and corn are warmed through.
- Test for seasonings, and adjust as necessary.
- Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for about five minutes to allow cheese to melt.
- Top with chopped cilantro, and serve.