A yummy slow cooked 15 Bean Soup, packed with flavor and goodness – this meal is a great one to set and forget!
Recently, The Husband and I were talking about how food/smells can evoke memories, and we started talking things we ate as children. I wondered which dishes our children would love about growing up with, and what recipes their future wives would be asking ME for!
When I asked if there was anything he particularly loved that his mother made, and he said: “some kind of bean soup, with every bean you can think of… she put it in a crockpot, and I think there was ham involved”… I knew I had to try and find a way to recreate this 15 bean soup for him.Love this? tweet it!!Click To Tweet
My husband’s mother passed away long before we met, so I was never able to meet or spend time with the lady who made him this dinner and obviously can’t ask her for her recipe. I hope she’s watching over us and will smile when she sees how wonderful her son turned out to be.
As it happens, the Husband loved this 15 bean soup!
I began with the usual suspects: carrots, onion, and celery. Also called the mirepoix or more jokingly, the holy trinity, carrots, onion and celery form the basis of many soups. I also keep these ingredients in the fridge most of the time!
Soaking the beans is optional, but I’ve read that it removes some of the sugars responsible for the unfortunate side affects of beans.
LOOK IF YOU DON’T KNOW I’M NOT TELLING YOU, OKAY?!
It also speeds up the cooking process, so if you were making a soup on the stove top, you’d absolutely want to do this. Since we’re cooking these for a really long time – you can absolutely ditch the soaking. I prefer to do it, but it’s not compulsory!
How to make 15 Bean Soup:
- Soak your beans overnight
- Add all other ingredients to a crockpot, and add the soaked beans in the morning.
- Cook for 8-10 hours
Kylee’s Notes for 15 Bean Soup:
- I like to put all the ingredients except for the ham bone and beans in a crockpot, pop the lid on and put it in the fridge. Then, it’s a simple case of adding the ham bone and soaked beans in the morning. Easy!
- Use a ham bone instead of ham steaks, plenty of flavor to be had on those!
Want more soup? Of course you do!!
A yummy slow cooker 15 Bean Soup, packed with flavor and goodness - this meal is a great one to set and forget!
- 20 oz 15 bean blend picked over and rinsed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 carrots sliced into rounds (approx. 2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 smoked ham bone
- 1 tsp black pepper coarsely ground
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- Add beans to a large bowl or pot, and cover with 8 cups of water. Leave overnight.
Combine onion, garlic, carrots, celery, black pepper, thyme, bay leaf, soy sauce, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes in slow cooker.
Add beans to slow cooker, and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Remove ham bone and bay leaves from soup, discard.