This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This easy Hamburger Casserole Recipe is pure comfort food. Done in under an hour, and easy to make ahead, this one will be a family favorite!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
I love easy casserole recipes. Pulling together some pantry ingredients for an easy meal that the entire family will love (even the picky eaters) is my favorite thing!
This ground beef casserole recipe is perfect for busy nights, and is great to make ahead. Like Lasagna and Baked Ziti, this delicious meal tastes even better the next day.
Prep and assembly time is about 15 minutes, and then bake time (hands off) is around 30 minutes.
If you are looking for more hearty casserole recipes, check out this Chicken Rice Casserole, or Tuna Noodle Casserole.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Simple ingredients with easy substitutions (see the ingredient list or notes box)
- Easy to make – perfect for a busy weeknight dinner!
- Budget Friendly. This one will not break the bank to make! Just use what you have on hand.
What to serve with Hamburger Casserole
Since this is very much a carbs, fat and protein kind of dinner, some greens alongside it would be a great idea. Try an simple green salad, or some roasted broccoli.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
What to do with leftovers
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat until it is piping hot!
A can of tomato soup will be great in place of the tomato sauce.
Use Tuscan seasoning or any blend of basil, oregano etc in place of the Italian Seasoning.
Adding in some red or green pepper (any bell peppers or onions will work) when cooking the ground beef will bump up the veggie content.
This recipe can be frozen before baking. Wrap tightly in foil and plastic wrap. Freeze. Thaw and bake.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Tomato Sauce. This can be canned diced tomatoes, marinara sauce, tomato sauce or tomato soup.
- Sour Cream. You could use cream cheese or plain Greek yogurt here. Even cottage cheese works.
- Seasonings. I use onion powder, garlic powder and a bit of Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Additional seasonings like chili powder or Worcestershire sauce are good too. Make it your own, then change it up next time to suit what you have on hand!
- Cheese. I use cheddar cheese, but mozzarella cheese or Colby jack or any blend works great too.
- Pasta. Any small pasta works. Shells, rotini, penne, macaroni, or even egg noodles. Use what you have!
- Olive Oil.
- Ground Beef. I use lean ground beef. If you use one with a higher fat content, no worries. Just drain it after browning.
You can also use ground turkey in place of beef if you prefer. You will need to add a little extra salt if you use turkey, as it can be bland otherwise.
- Large bowl
- 9×13 Casserole Dish (any large baking dish, or two smaller ones will work)
- Large Skillet
How to make Hamburger Casserole
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir through half the cheese.
Cook the pasta shells in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain.
Cook the ground beef
In a large skillet heat the olive oil and cook the ground beef until browned.
Add the cooked pasta and the tomato sauce & sour cream mixture to the skillet with the ground beef and mix well.
Pour entire ground beef mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish
Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees, the remove and add the remaining cheese.
Continue to bake another 10 minutes until cheese melts and slightly browned on top.
More easy dinner recipes:
- Chili Mac with Turkey. We’re bringing childhood back! Lightened-up with turkey vs beef, and made in one pan – this one is a family favorite!
- Skillet Mac & Cheese. Comfort food at its finest, this skillet mac & cheese is so easy! Just the skillet and a pasta pot, the and a quick broil, and this is ready FAST!
- Italian Stuffed Peppers. This is a yummy weeknight meal with fresh Italian flavors, that is done in under an hour (less if you prep ahead)
- Hamburger Steak Recipe. Fried patties made from ground beef, smothered in a delicious onion gravy, and served with mashed potatoes.
- Chicken Tater Tot Casserole. A family-friendly easy prep and clean up meal that you can set and forget. This yummy tater tot casserole recipe has allll the good stuff – you can’t go wrong!
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on Kylee Cooks, leave a comment and rating – I truly love to hear from you!
Find me on Pinterest, Facebook & Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Hamburger Casserole (Ground Beef Casserole)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheese (shredded (I use half cheddar, half mozzarella) divided – some goes in the casserole, some goes on top)
- 1 lb pasta shells
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir through half the cheese.
- Cook the pasta shells in salted boiling water until tender. Drain.
Cook the ground beef
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and cook the ground beef until browned.
- Add the cooked pasta and the tomato sauce & sour cream mixture to the skillet with the ground beef and mix well.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees, the remove and add the remaining cheese.
- Continue to bake another 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned on top.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Leave a Review