This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Here’s a warm skillet full of delicious, creamy Spinach & Artichoke Dip, surrounded by baked-in-the-skillet chewy bread – perfect for sharing!
I’m not going to pretend I even know who is playing in the big game happening this weekend… but how about a “super skillet” of dip? I wanted to make use of a new cast iron skillet I got, and really – who doesn’t love a warm appetizer? Around here, this kind of thing doesn’t last long – it’s devoured pretty fast!Love this appetizer? Tweet it!
All that dip, with handy baked in dippers?! Hello, friend! The Husband was delighted when I pulled this out of the oven – and so were the boys. I already suspected it was fabulous, but when we gathered around the table, each grabbing for a roll, pulling it through the warm cheesy center… and devouring… then fighting for another piece… I knew for sure that it was a winner! I love how it’s an all-in-one kind of thing. You can use frozen bread dough if you’d like (cut some time off the process), but I prefer to make my own using just a stand mixer, and a little time…. Hope you enjoy!
Warm Spinach & Artichoke Dip with Skillet Bread
- Bread Dough:
- 2 3/4 to 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp active dry or instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk warm (not hot)
- 3 Tbsp butter melted (divided 2 for dough, one for brushing on top of risen rolls)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup artichoke hearts roughly chopped
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp sriracha or any other hot sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup mozzarella grated
- Salt and pepper
- To serve:
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley chopped
- Add 2 cups of flour to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Add salt and combine.
- Heat milk, til warm but not hot (20 seconds in the microwave works for me)
- Stir in yeast and let stand a few minutes.
- Add yeast mixture to bowl, along with the melted butter.
- Mix and add additional flour in ¼ cup increments until a smooth dough forms (you may not need all of the flour – I typically use 2 ¾ cups)
- Knead until a smooth ball forms, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place, until the dough doubles, about an hour
- Add fresh spinach to a microwave safe bowl with 1 Tbsp of water.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave, leave covered and let stand 15 minutes to cool.
- Drain spinach well.
- In a medium bowl, add the spinach and remaining dip ingredients plus salt and pepper and mix until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Turn dough out onto your lightly floured counter.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces, and shape into balls.
- Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, and set a small bowl (to make a space where the dip will go), in the center of the skillet
- Arrange the dough around the outside of the skillet, pushing them together as needed until they all fit.
- Brush dough balls with 1Tbs melted butter.
- Set the skillet in a warm place, and allow to rise again, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375° F
- Remove bowl from center of skillet.
- Add the refrigerated dip to the center, and spread until even
- Sprinkle top of dip with additional mozzarella/Parmesan.
- Bake 30 minutes, until rolls are golden and the dip is bubbling - if needed - broil top until cheese is brown.
- Let bread/dip cool for 10 minutes before serving, then sprinkle with parsley.