This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
These light, tender coffee cake streusel muffins have a secret ingredient in the batter, and are topped with a walnut streusel. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a coffee date!
Aaaah, muffins. They used to be called “muffles” by my older son, and it was adorable. Of course now, he refuses to say it, even to amuse his mother. 4 year olds, man… they’re just not very co-operative… ha.
I used to love making muffins for him, and sneaking veggies or oats into them, and smiling to myself.
I didn’t make these for him. There is practically nothing healthy about them…although, he did consume his fair share, now I think about it!
[clickToTweet tweet=”Sour Cream #Coffee Cake #Streusel #Muffins #crumb #yum #delicious #recipe #homemade #baking http://bit.ly/2ef1CkD” quote=”Sour Cream #Coffee Cake #Streusel #Muffins #crumb #yum #delicious #recipe #homemade #baking “]
The smell of these in the oven, and cooling on the rack was sooooo good. I love the smell of butter and cinnamon and sugar… mmmm… smells like a home!
What I really like about these, is that they are in muffin form, vs a cake. Makes it easy to grab and go!
The sour cream I use in these coffee cake muffins makes them fairly rich, but SUPER tender. Spring for the full fat kind!
You could sub the walnuts for pecans or almonds if that’s what you have.
Want more muffins/sweet treats? Of course you do!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Streusel Muffins
For the Muffins
Streusel Topping (divided)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped roughly
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place paper liners in 8 spaces of your muffin pan.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the melted butter, egg and sour cream.
- Make the streusel - combine all ingredients.
- Add butter/egg/sour cream mixture to the dry mixture, and fold together until just combined.
- SECRET INGREDIENT:
Fold in HALF of the streusel topping to the batter.
- Divide the batter between 8 muffin cups.
- Top muffins with remaining streusel topping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool, and devour.
Tips for All Recipes on Kylee Cooks