This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This yummy vegetable soup is a very quick and simple, easy on the wallet, great on the stomach – and customizable to whatever you have on hand!
It’s well known around here that I love soup. Having a collection of meal sized containers of it in my freezer makes me so happy – a different soup for lunch every single day! This one is thick, warming – and very good for you. Plus, it’s super easy and you can put whatever you like in it. Don’t like broccoli? Fine! Use cauliflower. Don’t love cabbage? No worries, use something else. You really just need 5 cups of vegetables, whatever ones float your boat.
I actually have probably a gallon of this soup in my freezer right now. It makes me feel super comfortable to know that it’s there, anytime I need a warming bowl of something, a quick lunch, a late dinner (or a dinner in general).
AND, budget friendly. You really have to love that, right?
[Tweet “Quick and Easy Vegetable Soup #budgetfriendly #soup #vegetables #healthy #vegetarian #glutenfree”]
I’d love to hear what YOU end up using in your soup!
I added red pepper flakes to this to give it a bit of heat, and some sour cream, and sliced green onions for garnish (the sour cream was a GREAT addition!)
Want more soup? How about these?
For more, check out the soup archives
- olive oil
- 1 carrot diced fine
- 1 small onion diced fine
- 2 ribs celery diced fine
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cans chicken stock about 5 cups
- 5 cups assorted vegetables - cut into small pieces (I used broccoli cauliflower, purple cabbage zucchini, a carrot, some red pepper and some cherry tomatoes - it was what I had)
- Salt and pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Sour cream and green onions to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Cook the carrot, onion and celery until tender.
- Add the tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add the vegetables, season to taste with salt/pepper/red pepper flakes.
- Return to a boil, then reduce to simmer (about 15 minutes).
- Either puree (if you like that consistency), or leave chunky.
- Ladle into bowls, then add a tablespoon of sour cream, and some green onions to each, and serve