This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A creamy, homemade tomato soup from scratch, this easy soup recipe can be made from pantry staples, and FAST! Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping, and make your whole family smile.
With the holidays on their way, and with lots of things to do, places to go, and people to see – getting dinner on the table sometimes falls by the wayside. I love to make this soup using things I already have in the pantry, and serve dinner up fast!
The weather in Phoenix has been a little bit rainy the last few days, and we’re arriving home ready to be warmed up a little. Is there ANYTHING better than tomato soup and grilled cheese? (I don’t think so).
For me it’s like comfort in a bowl. Yup. I said that.Want to share! Tweet it!
I know that in other parts of the US it’s well and truly FALL and people are WAY colder than us, so hopefully – this easy and tasty recipe made from things you already have in the pantry and fridge will give you a good idea for dinner one night!
I was able to make this while my children were blatting about the house on Fall Break (okay, so I needed wine after they were in bed), and dinner was served 20 minutes after beginning to cook. I call that a win. This can also be made ahead – making it even faster when you arrive home!
While the soup simmers, I make a pile of grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it – and everyone loves it. Even H enjoyed dipping his sandwiches in the soup and scarfing it down (to be fair, he did complain about the “green stuff” aka parsley, but let’s not quibble)
How to make Tomato Soup from Scratch:
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan
- Cook the onions until softened, add the garlic and some salt and pepper and cook another minute.
- Add the flour and mix well, before adding tomatoes, stock and tomato paste
- Simmer, blend, serve.
Soup, it’s what’s for dinner!
Kylee’s notes for Easy Homemade Tomato Soup:
- Use diced or crushed tomatoes, it doesn’t matter
- Stir some pesto in at the end for a fresh kick!
- Switch the half n half for sour cream or yogurt, or omit entirely.
- Add a pinch of crushed chili flakes to REALLY warm your belly!!
Want MORE soup? Of course you do!
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion diced finely
- Salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbs flour
- 3 14.5oz cans crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream or half n half (or yogurt or sour cream - you choose)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook the onions until they're soft (about 5 minutes), then add the garlic and cook for a further minute or so.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the flour, and mix well - cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock, whisking to blend and thicken.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender - blend until smooth.
- Remove from heat, then add the cream (I warm mine to make it less likely to curdle), mixing thoroughly.
- Test for seasoning - add more if needed, then serve.
Tips for All Recipes on Kylee Cooks