This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
White Bean Salad is great to make ahead, or to grab and go! A short prep time means you can have it on the table fast!
Served chilled or at room temperature, this is a versatile salad!
Packed with protein, and yummy veggies, and dressed with a simple homemade vinaigrette (don’t forget the salt and pepper!), it’s ready fast – and lasts in the fridge for a few days. Great for a quick light lunch, a great side dish or even as a mid-afternoon snack.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
Update: This recipe was originally published in of 2017. It was republished with updated photos in May of 2022.
I love Spring and (the beginning of) Summer. Summer here in Phoenix is crazy amounts of hot, and so heating up my kitchen to make a tasty side for something grilled is not my idea of a good time.
I love beans, and I love a good easy salad – especially one that takes so little time to make, and can be made ahead! This easy white bean salad recipe is quick and easy, and stays super yummy for several days in the refrigerator.
A loaf of crusty bread like this Oatmeal Bread, and you’ve got a meal!
We have this as the perfect side dish regularly, but can also grab some crackers and pack it for work lunches as the main course. This is a great salad for picking and choosing ingredients and mixing it up!
Are white beans healthy?
Yes! They’re a great source of fiber, protein and other nutrients.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Make ahead. This salad actually improves and tastes better the next day. Perfect to meal prep for work lunches!
- Easy to make. No cooking time! A little bit of chopping of fresh ingredients, but can be done very very quickly!
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
Just a few simple ingredients and tons of flavor – what’s not to love? This bean salad is PERFECT!!
- White Or Cannellini Beans. Drained and rinsed well. There are lots of varieties of white beans! Cannellini, Great Northern, White Kidney Beans or Navy Beans are all great options!
I use canned beans, but you can obviously use dry beans if you soak and cook them prior to using.
- Red Peppers. Dice these up small.
- Parsley. Don’t leave this out, fresh herbs add a pretty green color and a savory flavor to the bean salad. Experiment with different herbs! You could add fresh basil, or peppery arugula instead – but wait until the last minute to add these for best flavor.
- Red Onion. You can sub white onion if you must, but red is prettier.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil. You can use Extra Virgin or a light blend, either will work.
- White Wine Vinegar. This, combined with the olive oil forms the vinaigrette on the salad. Red wine vinegar also works, as well as fresh lemon juice. You need an acid for the dressing, so pick your favorite.
- Garlic. Garlic is important! Mince finely and add it to the vinaigrette.
How to make White Bean Salad
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Chop the vegetables, and open the can of white beans. Give the beans a good rinse.
Place the beans, red bell peppers, parsley, and onion in a large bowl.
Make the dressing
In a lidded jar, add the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt & pepper. Put the lid on tightly, and shake until well combined.
Add the dressing to the bean mixture, using a spatula to combine (gently – so you don’t break the beans).
Taste, add kosher salt and black pepper if needed.
Refrigerate until needed (up to 4 days).
I like to mix this up and use navy, great northern beans, garbanzo beans and even add some black beans or lima beans occasionally.
Switch out the fresh parsley for cilantro, and add some corn for a southwestern bean salad!
Try green onions, basil or arugula instead of parsley.
Cherry tomatoes are a great addition.
A little dijon mustard in the dressing adds some depth of flavor.
Store this simple salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Some of our favorite salad recipes. All great options for making ahead!
- Greek Chick Pea Salad An excellent make-ahead Chickpea Salad, that will stay good for a few days in the fridge, making this perfect for lunches.
- Crunchy Curried Chicken Salad. A brilliant make-ahead curried chicken salad balanced with tart apples, sweet raisins, and finished with cilantro, this is one you will make over and over!
- Caprese Orzo Salad (Basil Tomato Mozzarella). An easy side, this salad combines tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil with a yummy homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Make ahead!
- Grilled Vegetable Salad with Tarragon Dressing. A spectacular, smoky charcoal-grilled vegetable salad, bursting with flavor, this is an easy side that you can make ahead or make with the family!
- Easy Italian Salad (from Spend with Pennies)
- Chopped Asparagus Salad (from View from the Great Island)
Summery White Bean Salad
- Place the beans, red pepper, parsley, and onion in a large salad bowl.
- In a lidded jar, add the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt & pepper. Put the lid on tightly, and shake until well combined.
- Add the dressing to the bean mixture, using a spatula to combine (gently – so you don’t break the beans).
- Taste, add more seasoning if needed.
- Refrigerate until needed (up to 4 days).
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.
Source: Adapted from Good Cheap Eats