This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This easy black bean salad recipe is packed with vibrant colors and bold flavors! It’s a satisfying main dish, or side dish with a healthy twist making it the ultimate plate of yum!
Step-by-step photos and instructions are below!
I love a good bean salad (like this white bean salad) and this easy black bean salad recipe is no exception. One of my favorite things to make for a pot luck or party, it is packed with yummy flavors that blend perfectly.
This is a great side dish, hearty main dish or even a quick snack. I like to roll it up in a corn tortilla, or eat it with some tortilla chips as a dip, too!
In just a few simple steps, you can create a delicious and satisfying salad that’s ready to be enjoyed. Just rinse and drain the beans and corn, chop up some fresh vegetables (jalapenos, red pepper and onion), toss in herbs and spices, and dress with a zesty lime dressing.
Southwest flavors are my jam, obviously. There’s just something about the blend of jalapenos, corn, cilantro and lime (among other things, like corn tortillas) that makes me happy. Check out my Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad, Southwest Sweet Potato Hash, or my Southwest Chicken Salad for some other delicious ideas!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Great for meal prep, this will hang out in the fridge for a few hours/overnight and still taste amazing.
- Quick and Easy to make. Just drain the beans, chop some veggies and make the simple dressing.
- Good for you. This salad is packed with protein and fiber!
- Adaptable. The recipe is a good staple recipe that can be easily tailored to suit personal preferences and dietary needs. You can get creative by adding or substituting ingredients according to your taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, but you will need to soak and cook them first. I use canned beans for speed and ease!
You can absolutely experiment with other types of beans such as kidney beans, pinto beans, or chickpeas. Just keep in mind that the flavors and textures may vary slightly.
Yes, black bean salad is a great option for both vegetarian and vegan diets. It provides plant-based protein, fiber, and a variety of nutrients.
It is not recommended to freeze black bean salad as the texture of the vegetables may become mushy when thawed. It’s best enjoyed fresh or stored in the refrigerator for a short period.
What to eat with Black Bean Salad
I have included step-by-step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
What to do with leftovers
Store the leftover black bean salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This recipe is great the next day, but after a few days, the acid in the dressing will break down the veggies and beans and make things mushy.
If you anticipate having leftovers, consider storing the dressing separately. Mixing the dressing with the salad can cause the vegetables to become soggy and lose their crunch. Add the dressing just before serving.
- If you are out of limes, use lemon juice or vinegar. Red wine, white wine apple cider vinegar all do great.
- Switch out the red bell pepper for orange bell pepper, or add a yellow bell pepper.
- Add some chopped up cherry tomatoes
- Add some creamy avocado slices to the top of the fresh salad.
- Add some green onions when you add the chopped cilantro.
- Add a pinch of chili powder to the dressing ingredients.
Recipe Ingredients and Possible Substitutes
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- For the Salad. You’ll need canned black beans and sweetcorn (you can use frozen corn, just thaw before use. You can also use fresh corn kernels), diced red bell peppers, red onion and jalapeno and some chopped fresh cilantro.
- For the dressing, you’ll need a good extra virgin olive oil and fresh lime juice, along with seasonings including garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, salt and pepper. If you are out of limes, you can use white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in place of the lime juice, but you’ll miss that zesty flavor!
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Make the dressing
Combine the lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until well combined. You may also use a jar with a lid and shake vigorously. Refrigerate.
Make the salad
In a large bowl, add the black beans, corn, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Mix until well combined.
Pour dressing over the bean mixture, and mix well. Sprinkle with extra cilantro, and serve.
More delicious salad recipes:
- Summery White Bean Salad. Served chilled or at room temperature, this Summery White Bean Salad is great to make ahead, or to grab and go! A short prep time means you can have it on the table fast!
- Easy Southwest Pasta Salad with Lime Vinaigrette Dressing. Black beans, corn, red peppers, jalapenos, cilantro and red onions feature in this easy to make pasta salad. With the addition of the lime vinaigrette… oh, myyyyyyy.
- Vegan Chickpea Salad An excellent make-ahead Summery Vegan Chickpea Salad, that will stay good for a few days in the fridge, making this perfect for lunches.
- Watermelon Feta Salad. Featuring juicy watermelon, tangy feta cheese, and fresh mint makes the perfect dish for hot days! Experience the ultimate summer duo with this irresistible recipe.
Black Bean Salad
Make the dressing
- Combine the lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until well combined. You may also use a jar with a lid and shake vigorously. Refrigerate. Show un whisked dressing and then whisked dressing.
Make the salad
- In a large bowl, add the black beans, corn, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Shot of ingredients in the bowl – kind of layer them out so they can be seen separately.
- Mix until well combined. Shot of mixed bowl with ingredients well combined.
- Pour dressing over salad, and mix well
- Sprinkle with extra cilantro
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.