This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Gorgeous oven roasted vegetables made even tastier with a balsamic dressing, finished with a tangy bite of feta cheese.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
Oven Roasted Veggies
This is an easy, beautiful and absolutely delicious side dish (heck, even a main dish) that complements protein of your choice, and a nice glass of wine! Give these roasted vegetables a go!
It’s rather well documented that I love all things balsamic (judging by the number of posts I have written including it!)
I mean check out these GORGEOUS roasted root vegetables. I took some red onions, carrots, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Then, tossed them with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt & pepper.
I often add bell peppers and butternut squash to this mix. Basically, you can use this roasted vegetable recipe for any combination of veggies that you like.
Of course, you can omit the dressing and feta and just roast the vegetables with simple seasonings, it’s up to you!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- This recipe can be adapted to whatever vegetables you have on hand!
- Roasting vegetables is very hands-off, which means they cook while you do other things. This makes it a great recipe for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
- Super easy. You are literally just chopping vegetables and using an optional dressing to coat them before cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Root vegetables are awesome, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots and turnips. I like to do pumpkin, butternut squash and zucchini. Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and bell peppers roast up nicely too!
No. That will steam them instead of roasting them, and we want them to be brown and yummy!
I use a light olive oil for this, but any neutral flavored oil will work.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Chopping Board
- Baking Sheet
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Peel and chop the sweet potatoes, onions, and regular potatoes.
Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts (remove the outer layers if they don’t look great), and cut in half from top to bottom.
Lay the vegetables on a baking sheet in a single layer with a little space between if you can (it helps get them nice and brown).
Make the dressing
Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and salt & pepper in a bowl. Reserve a tablespoon or 2 for later.
Pour the oil and seasoning mix over the vegetables, and using your hands or a wooden spoon, mix it so all of the vegetables are covered evenly. You can also add the vegetables to a large bowl and mix the dressing in that way too.
Bake for 30 minutes (or until your vegetables are tender, and brown). You may need to increase your cook time by 15 minutes (up to 20 minutes) to ensure proper done-ness.
Cool, then drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette, and sprinkle with feta.
What to do with leftovers
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can reheat them in a skillet, microwave or in the oven.
I often add bell peppers, butternut squash and beets to this mix. Basically, you can use this roasted vegetable recipe for any combination of veggies that you like.
If you are looking for a simpler recipe, just leave out the dressing. This is a great, basic recipe for roasting vegetables that you can adapt to your own tastes.
More delicious sides:
- Twice Baked Potatoes. A drool-worthy side dish, these Twice Baked Potatoes are SO good! Make a lot and freeze some for another day.
- Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Roasted Brussels sprouts, paired with delicate shallots, salty bacon and a bit of parmesan – YES PLEASE
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans. The BEST side for holidays! Fresh green bean bundles are easy to grab and soon to be family favorite!
- Grilled Zucchini. Perfectly Grilled Zucchini with a hint of lime, this easy recipe makes a great side dish and is super fast!
- Glazed Carrots. A simple side dish, using the sweetness of brown sugar combined with fresh rosemary. These Rosemary Glazed Carrots are great for holidays or just a regular Tuesday!
- ALL SIDES
Oven Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic & Feta
- 1 large red onion (peeled and diced into large chunks)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 12 brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare your vegetables, and lay them out in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet.
Make the dressing
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and salt & pepper in a bowl. Reserve a tablespoon or 2 for later.
- Pour over vegetables, and using your hands, mix it so all of the vegetables are covered evenly.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes (or until your vegetables are tender, and brown).
- Cool, then drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette, and sprinkle with feta.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This recipe was originally published in February of 2016. It was republished with updated photos in November of 2021.