This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A thick, creamy and totally decadently rich crockpot hot chocolate that can be made and kept warm for hours!
Perfect for special occasions like Fall and Winter celebrations, snow days, Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning (or any old Tuesday).
Step-by-step photos and instructions are below!
Nothing is better than coming in from a cold day to a warm drink waiting to be sipped. Be it skiing, walking home from somewhere, or just because you love hot drinks!
This thick and creamy hot chocolate recipe is the REAL DEAL. Made from scratch, with quality ingredients (like real chocolate for a richer chocolate flavor), it really is rich and chocolatey and creamy. And delicious.
This is awesome for those of you in snowy areas. Go outside, make a snowman then drag the whole family inside to for hot cocoa to warm up!
You’ll also love this Slow Cooker Mulled Apple Cider Recipe, too!
Serving a crowd? Double the recipe!
If you are like me and are the last-minute Queen, you can speed up the process a little. To make this drink faster, blend all the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.
Cook in the microwave, whisking often, in 1-minute increments until chocolate is melted, and drink is smooth. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a small slow cooker. You can also heat leftover slow cooker hot chocolate in microwave safe mugs.
You can also use a saucepan and stove top. Just stir over medium heat until warmed through (not boiling).
Why this is the best hot chocolate:
- Make ahead, or make in the moment, this recipe will taste good whether slow cooked or not.
- Simple ingredients equal maximum taste.
- Easy to adapt (see the notes section for ways to change this up. Including making it boozy).
Make a Homemade Hot Chocolate Bar!
Perfect for any holiday, but especially a Christmas party, Set out things like these:
- crushed candy canes
- flavored marshmallows
- mini marshmallows
- cocoa puff cereal
- cinnamon sticks
- peanut butter
- coconut shreds
- Extra semi sweet chocolate chips for an enhanced chocolate flavor
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce to drizzle over the top
I have included step-by-step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
This is a VERY rich hot chocolate. If you find the flavor too intense or rich, mix some extra whole milk into your cup.
Make a double batch for a larger crowd.
What to do with leftovers
Store leftover hot chocolate in a covered container in the refrigerator. Reheat as needed.
To make this recipe ahead
Make as written, and refrigerate. Whisk well before adding to the slow cooker.
Variations for making Crockpot Hot Chocolate
Use different flavored marshmallows to top (maybe these fancy Rosewater Marshmallows from Sugar Spice and Glitter?)
Add a splash of raspberry syrup for decadent raspberry hot chocolate
Switch out the chocolate chips for WHITE chocolate chips.
Make an adult version – baileys, kahlua etc are wonderful in this!
Recipe Ingredients and Possible Substitutes
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk. Grab a can, or use my recipe for sweetened condensed milk.
- Chocolate Chips. You can use milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or even white chocolate. Skip the cocoa powder and increase the vanilla for white hot chocolate!
- Cocoa Powder. I use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Heavy Cream. Also known as heavy whipping cream. You can use half & half if you prefer.
- Milk. Whatever you have, 2%, whole, 1%. all work!
- Vanilla Extract. I use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Marshmallows for Topping
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Cover and cook on low heat (or use the warm setting), and allow to heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve it up with some whipped cream (maybe a dash of Irish cream if you like…) or marshmallows and your favorite toppings (see the Hot Chocolate bar section for suggestions)
More delicious recipes:
- Pumpkin Spice Latte. Grab this easy recipe for how to make a Pumpkin Spice Latte at home. Hello, Fall!
- Gingerbread Latte. Skip the local coffee shop! Make this creamy, sweet and spicy latte at home! It’s just what you need for chilly mornings, or frosty afternoons!
- Raspberry Mocha Latte. Be your own barista and enjoy this yummy homemade recipe right in your own kitchen!
- Eggnog Latte Recipe. Creamy with a touch of spice, this super easy, super delicious Eggnog Latte is a holiday go-to! Get an amazing flavored coffee drink right in your own kitchen!
Easy Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- In a small slow cooker, whisk together all ingredients.
- Cover, and heat on low for 2 hours, whisking regularly.
- Pour into mugs, top with marshmallows and/or whipped cream.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This recipe was originally published in December of 2018. It was republished with updated photos in October of 2021.