This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This Mulled Cider is super delicious and will make your house smell is so welcoming! Guests of all ages won’t be able to resist pouring some into a cozy mug and sipping away happily.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
There is really nothing better on a cold day than walking into a house smelling like mulled cider. It’s warm, sweet and super yummy smelling.
This delicious recipe is very simple. It’s apple cider, kicked up with mulling spices and fresh fruit. Heated slowly, and kept warm in a slow cooker ready for you to ladle into cups, glasses or your favorite mugs and serve.
There is no alcohol in this recipe, but please don’t let that stop you. A splash of rum, brandy or bourbon in every glass will make for a very Merry Christmas.
You’ll love this Crockpot Hot Chocolate too! A thick, creamy and totally decadently rich hot chocolate that can be made and kept warm for hours! Perfect for Fall and Winter celebrations (or any old Tuesday).
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- This is a very simple recipe that is adaptable, and super easy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Typically, apple cider is served cold without adding in extra spices and flavors. Mulled apple cider is warm or hot after it has been infused with spices and citrus fruits then warmed in a crockpot or on a stove top.
Mulled means to heat, sweeten and flavor with spices. Many times, rum or bourbon is added to mulled apple cider but never added to apple cider.
This hot mulled cider is perfect for kids and adults at holiday gatherings because it is not spiked in the crockpot. To serve mulled cider at a party or get together, place liquor bottles next to the slow cooker for adults to spike their own drink.
We found that spiced rum and bourbon were the best in mulled cider.
This recipe is designed for the slow cooker but if you don’t have one or prefer to use the stove top you can add everything to a large stock pot and simmer on low heat for an hour.
No, ground spices, like cloves, cinnamon and allspice will give your cider an unpleasant gritty texture.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
A slice or two of fresh ginger will provide a slightly spicy kick.
Make an adult beverage
This hot apple cider is perfect for kids and adults because it is not spiked in the crockpot. To serve mulled cider at a party or get together, place liquor bottles next to the slow cooker for adults to spike their own drink. We found that spiced rum and bourbon were the best in mulled apple cider.
No crockpot? No problem. Just grab a large pot and make your hot mulled apple cider on the stovetop. Turn the heat to low, and keep an eye on it!
Left over cider can be stored in the refrigerator for up to3-4 days. You can reheat it in the slow cooker or drink it cold or at room temperature.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Apple Cider. I use an unpasteurized apple cider found in the produce department of most grocery stores at this time of year. Unfiltered apple juice can be used if you can’t find cider.
- Cranberry Juice. I like unsweetened cranberry juice, vs cranberry “cocktail” but any brand or mixture will taste yummy.
- Whole Star Anise. These are not only pretty, but add a yummy and unique flavor to your cider. Add these whole.
- Whole Cloves. These should be added whole.
- Cinnamon Sticks. Keep a few out for garnish.
- Whole Allspice Berries. A relative to cloves, it tastes like a combo of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fresh fruit. Oranges, lemons, cranberries, sweet apples. Add orange wedges and some fresh cranberries to the warm drink before serving.
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
In a 6 quart slow cooker pour in apple cider and cranberry juice. Add in the star anise, cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, orange slices, squeezed lemon juice, honey and cranberries and stir lightly to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.
Serve warm in individual mugs straight out of the crock pot, filtering out the whole spices if desired. If using spiced rum or bourbon add one ounce per glass.
Garnish with a cinnamon sick, orange slice, apple slices and cranberries.
More delicious hot drinks:
- Pumpkin Martini. Get your pumpkin martini on! This boozy Fall drink that tastes like pie will be a favorite this season!
- Orange Creamsicle Martini. Get your drink on with this yummy Orange Creamsicle Martini. An adult version of an Orange Julius, and so darn good!
- Pumpkin Spice Latte. Grab this easy recipe for how to make a Pumpkin Spice Latte at home and skip the line at your local coffee shop! Hello, Fall!
- Gingerbread Latte. Skip the lines (and the expense) at your local coffee shop, and make this creamy, sweet and spicy Homemade Gingerbread Latte at home! It’s just what you need for chilly evenings, or frosty mornings!
- Raspberry Mocha Latte. Be your own barista and enjoy this yummy homemade recipe right in your own kitchen!
- Eggnog Latte Recipe. Creamy with a touch of spice, this cozy drink is a holiday go-to! Get an amazing flavored coffee drink right in your own kitchen!
Slow Cooker Mulled Apple Cider Recipe
- 1 gallon unfiltered apple cider
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 4 star anise (whole)
- 10 cloves (whole)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 allspice (whole)
- 2 oranges (sliced)
- 1 large lemon (juiced)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 16 oz Spiced rum (or bourbon if desired)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Sliced apples
- Sliced oranges
- In a 6 quart slow cooker pour in apple cider and cranberry juice. Add in all the spices, orange slices, squeezed lemon juice, honey and cranberries and stir lightly to combine.
- Heat on low for 2-4 hours.
- Serve warm straight out of the slow cooker, filtering out the whole spices if desired. If using spiced rum or bourbon add one ounce per glass. Garnish with a cinnamon sick, orange slice and cranberries.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.