This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A healthy roasted beet salad with feta and roasted walnuts, drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette. The beets are the star of the show!
Aaah, salad. Is it dinner? Is it a side? Yes. Yes, to both.
This particular beet salad is one of my favorites. The flavor combination alone is something I really enjoy, and I look forward to making any time I see beets in the store. Beets are available all year round, but at their best June through October. I like to use the smaller, baby beets, but all beets are good when roasted!!
Beets turn sweet when you roast them, so combined with the salty feta, and the bite of the vinaigrette, we have ourselves a heck of a treat!
Looking for more salad? Try this yummy Grilled Vegetable Salad. Prep this one ahead too!
Why this recipe works:
- Simple ingredients. Nothing you can’t pronounce, and absolutely nothing you can’t find at the grocery store.
- Make ahead. Prep the beets on the weekend, and assemble the salad on a manic Monday night!
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
What do roasted beets taste like? Well, before they’re roasted, they have an earthy, bitter flavor. After cooking? Sweet and almost like candy!
You can use a mix of red and golden beets. They will add slightly different flavors, but very pretty colors!
You could use goat cheese instead of feta if you prefer.
Make a balsamic vinaigrette instead. Replace the white wine vinegar with balsamic vinegar. Add a little maple syrup or honey if you like your dressing sweet.
You can roast the beets whole. Wrap the beets in foil, and cook as directed and maybe add 15 minutes to cooking time. Remove from the oven and when they’re cool enough to handle, slice them (and chill them).
Candied walnuts are a GREAT addition to this salad. Try this Candied Nuts Recipe
What to do with leftovers
Store the components for the salad separately in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Assemble before serving.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Cook the Beets
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a small baking dish or baking sheet with heavy aluminum foil. This will make cleanup easier!
Place beet rounds into prepared baking pan and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.
Place in oven and bake until cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes.
When beets are done, remove from oven and cool completely, before setting in the fridge to chill.
Make the vinaigrette
Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. While constantly whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil, so the dressing emulsifies.
Taste dressing and add more salt, pepper, garlic etc until you LOVE it.
In a large bowl, add the salad mix and tomatoes. Drizzle the dressing over it and toss to combine.
Arrange on a platter or bowl, put the beets on top, and sprinkle with feta cheese and walnuts.
More Salad Recipes:
- Kale Salad. Simple ingredients and simple instructions (including how to massage kale) make this Kale Salad Recipe an absolute keeper!
- Arugula Salad. Peppery arugula mixed with bright tomatoes, parmesan, and dressed with fresh lemon vinaigrette. Perfection!
- Southwest Chicken Salad. With enough protein to make this a wonderful main dish, this is a salad you’ll make over and over!
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on Kylee Cooks, leave a comment and rating – I truly love to hear from you!
Find me on Pinterest, Facebook & Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Roasted Beet Salad with Feta & Walnuts
- 4-6 small fresh beets (peeled and sliced into 1/4 – 1/3in rounds)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled )
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 1/4 cup roasted walnuts (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (yellow and red )
- 3 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (minced or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a small baking dish or baking sheet (with a lip) with heavy foil – this will make cleanup easier!
- Place beet rounds into prepared baking pan and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and bake until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk to combine – while continually whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil to combine and emulsify.
- Taste dressing and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- When beets are done, remove from oven and cool completely before placing in the fridge to chill.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad mi and tomatoes. Drizzle the dressing over it and toss.
- Once beets are cooled, arrange the salad mix on the platter, put the beets on top, and sprinkle with feta and walnuts.
- You can use a mix of red and golden beets. They will add slightly different flavors, but very pretty colors!
- You could use goat cheese instead of feta if you prefer.
- Make a balsamic vinaigrette instead. Replace the white wine vinegar with balsamic vinegar. Add a little maple syrup or honey if you like your dressing sweet.
- You can roast the beets whole. Wrap the beets in foil, and cook as directed and maybe add 15 minutes to cooking time. Remove from the oven and when they’re cool enough to handle, slice them (and chill them).
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This was originally posted in August of 2014, and has been updated to improve reader experience with new photos.
Leave a Review