This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This rocked. My first foray into cooking my own beets! It was super easy, and I think made the world of difference to the end dish (as opposed to using canned). The Food Critic thought it was fabulous, and didn’t even douse it in ranch/blue cheese dressing/hot sauce/sweet chilli. That’s huge. He douses everything in one or other of those things. Hot sauce is nasty. It makes me sneeze.
- 4-6 small fresh beets peeled and sliced into 1/4 - 1/3in rounds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- feta crumbled
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 1/4 cup roasted walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow and red cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 and line a small baking dish or baking sheet (with a lip) with heavy foil – this will make cleanup easier!
- Place beet rounds into prepared baking pan and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and bake until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk to combine - while continually whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil to combine and emulsify.
- Taste dressing and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- When beets are done, remove from oven and place foil in bowl and into fridge to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, tomatoes and walnuts. Drizzle the dressing over it and toss.
- Once beets are cooled, arrange the salad mix on the platter, put the beets on top, and sprinkle with feta.