This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Candied Nuts make a wonderful holiday treat or homemade gift for friends and family. Yummy nuts covered in a crunchy sugary coating, you’ll love this super easy recipe that you can make in bulk!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
Candied nuts make perfect holiday gifts. Package them in little glass jars or clear gift bags and top with a bow for a fabulous gift for friends and family, or just make a batch for you!
Mixed nuts are tossed with egg whites and vanilla, then coated with crunchy brown sugar and cinnamon and baked or slow cooked, then left to set.
These nuts are super easy to prepare and cook, and are cooked in a slow cooker. I have included oven baking instructions in the recipe card (on a cookie sheet instead of crockpot) if you’d prefer to go that route.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Simple ingredients, nothing crazy!
- This is a bulk recipe, so you can make them as gifts, or halve for personal use.
- Super easy to make, and makes your house smell amazing.
- Use these nuts in salads, as an ice cream topper, as a snack or added to a charcuterie board.
Frequently Asked Questions
If they weren’t baked long enough, they can retain moisture and make them soft. They need to be cooked long enough for the sugar to caramelize.
No need to refrigerate, but they will keep longer if you do. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks, or in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months, but make lose some of their crunch.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
What to do with leftovers
Store in an airtight container for a few weeks.
Instead of cinnamon, use pumpkin pie spice for a yummy fall flavor.
Use your favorite types of nuts! You’ll need 12 cups of nuts for this recipe, unless you are making a smaller batch.
Add a dash of cayenne pepper for a sweet and spicy mix.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Mixed nuts. Use raw, unsalted nuts. You can buy mixed nuts, or just do pecans, almonds, walnuts or cashews. Mix up your favorites.
- Egg whites. We use this to make the brown sugar cinnamon coating stick. Use up the yolks by making lemon curd or hollandaise sauce.
- Vanilla extract.
- Sugar. We’ll use both granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Cinnamon. Use pumpkin pie spice if you prefer!
How to make candied nuts in a slow cooker
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Add mixed nuts to a large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy.
Add the egg white/vanilla mixture to the nuts and toss until well combined.
In a small bowl, mix together both sugars, the salt and cinnamon.
Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray, add the nuts and the sugar mixture, then and toss until all mixed and coated.
Cover and cook on low for 3 hours stirring frequently.
Remove nuts from slow cooker and spread out in a single layer onto a prepared baking sheet (line with parchment or wax paper) and to let the nuts cool completely and the sugary coating is set.
To make easy candied nuts in the oven
Halve the recipe and place nuts at step 5 onto 2 sprayed parchment lined baking sheets and cook at 300 degrees F for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Continue at step 7
Candied Nuts (Slow Cooker or Oven)
- Add mixed nuts to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy.
- Add the egg white/vanilla mixture to the nuts and toss until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together both sugars, the salt and cinnamon.
- Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray, add the nuts and the sugar/cinnamon mixture, then and toss until all mixed and coated.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours stirring frequently.
- Remove nuts from slow cooker and spread out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and allow to cool and set.
Tips & Notes:
Halve the recipe and place nuts at step 5 onto 2 sprayed parchment lined baking sheets and cook at 300 degrees F for 45 minutes, stirring often.
Continue at step 7