This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Cute little one-bite baked donuts, perfect for portion control (unless you eat 8), but less guilt-ridden than fried!
Update: This was originally posted in February of 2016, and has been updated to improve reader experience.
These mini baked donuts are the perfect one-bite treat and are super cute. Make a bunch of them and give them away, or eat the entire batch yourself while watching old movies alone, in the dark. Whatever works for you!
There are plenty of donut recipes out there, this one is my favorite because it comes together so quickly and the cooking time is so short! I typically get about 36 donuts out of this recipe, so bake it, dump them out and get the pans filled up again!
If you don’t have a donut baking pan, use a mini muffin pan. They won’t be the same shape, but they’ll still taste awesome!
Why this recipe works
- It’s super easy, and makes a lot of donuts!
- The donuts are baked, not fried, so you can feel better about eating them!.
- A fun project for kids to decorate! Get creative with sprinkles and decorations.
- This one is fun to make for pretty much any holiday you like.
- Green frosting for St Patrick’s Day. Pink frosting with heart sprinkles for Valentine’s Day. Your imagination is the only limit!
How to adjust this recipe
- Add a little vanilla extract to the batter for super vanilla flavoring).
- Use a simple sugar and cinnamon mix (dip in a little melted butter)
- Add some mini chocolate chips to the batter!
- Switch up your glazes! Any flavor you can dream up – do it!
- Any kind of milk will work. I do like buttermilk for that tang, but this recipe can use almond milk too!
HOW TO MAKE MINI DONUTS
Full, printable recipe below – just scroll down to the recipe card!
- Preheat the oven and grab your stand or hand mixer (or a large bowl and a spatula). In the large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt (or bowl of your stand mixer) and mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Add in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients (flour mixture).
- Mix until JUST combined.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag (or a large zip-top bag, and snip the corner off).
- Spray the donut pan with cooking spray and fill each cup about halfway (don’t overfill – they will rise during baking and you definitely want to see holes!)
- Bake for 6 minutes, then cool in the ban for a few minutes – and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the glaze (see recipe card – I use powdered sugar, milk and whatever extract you like) and dip the cooled donuts in and set back on the wire rack. Go nuts with sprinkles.
MORE SWEET TREATS
- Apple Dumplings – tart apples wrapped in a flaky biscuit, and smothered in a buttery vanilla sauce. Topped with crunchy cinnamon sugar, this is a super easy recipe that delivers on taste!
- Easy Biscotti Recipe – Crispy Italian cookies with the addition of dried fruit and zest. Dipped in white chocolate, these are a wonderful treat!
- Blackberry Pie Bars – using a buttery shortbread crust, creamy custard-y filling, topped with more shortbread as a crumble over the top.
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Mini Baked Donuts
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add buttermilk, egg, and butter, and mix until JUST combined.
- Pour batter into a piping bag or ziplock with the corner cut out, and fill each donut cup 1/2 full. Don’t get crazy about this – the batter will rise quite a bit during baking, and you do want holes! (Overfilling just makes the hole close up)
- Bake 6 minutes or until the top of the donut springs back when touched.
- Cool in pan for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Glaze (either flavor)
- Combine all ingredients and mix until sugar is dissolved. Mixture will be runny.
- Dip cooled donuts in and set on cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Re-dip and sprinkle your chosen decorations on top, and let dry.