This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Adding coconut to this all time classic is a way to change-up the flavor, in a very tasty way. Coconut Banana Bread is a yummy snack, and goes great with your morning (or afternoon) tea or coffee.
Ever wondered what the difference is between banana bread and banana cake? They’re very different. Banana cake is sweeter, more delicate and… more richly flavored. Banana bread has more flour, and is sturdier, and can even be toasted. Um. Just like bread. BOTH are delicious, but definitely have their place.
I prefer cake to be a dessert, so I opted to make a bread this time. I was after something a little bit more special than plain banana bread. Simply by adding 1/2 cup of coconut I really achieved my goal! I wonder how it would be if I used mashed mango or added pineapple (leaving out the banana) next time? Experiment for next time!
[clickToTweet tweet=”#Coconut #Banana #Bread is a yummy snack, and goes great with #tea or #coffee!” quote=”Love this? Tweet it!”]
I threw this together one afternoon while the boys napped. It was a snap to prepare, and the smells permeating my house were so good – one of my small boys came out of his room to investigate. And demand a slice. Or two. *sigh*
I actually saved myself a slice for breakfast, but when I went to get it… it was GONE. It’s my own fault – I didn’t HIDE IT! Don’t be me. HIDE your coconut banana bread stash! Hope you enjoy this – we sure did.
Want more baked deliciousness? Of course you do!
Coconut Banana Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut plus a tablespoon for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 overripe bananas you need a cup and a half of mashed bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Generously butter the inside of a (9x5) glass loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes on medium speed).
- Add the eggs, and mix well.
- Add the mashed bananas and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, until just combined. Don't over blend!
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan - it will be slightly shaggy.
- Sprinkle a small amount of coconut on top.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean - about 50 minutes.
- Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then invert onto a wire rack, to cool completely.
- Slice, and devour.