This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Soft and fluffy banana cupcakes, topped with a gorgeous brown sugar buttercream frosting. These two flavors were MADE for each other!
Oh my, you guys. OH. MY.
I had to call my mother about these and let her know the sad/wonderful news. These banana cupcakes are actually better than… um, my grandmother’s. I know, that’s QUITE a statement to make – and honestly, not one I can say lightly. But it’s TRUE!
I made these while cooking dinner, actually – they’re that easy.
Are you convinced yet? I also got both of my kids to get dressed all the way to shoes (the little dude needed some assistance), and to pick up toys… on the promise of a cupcake. At 6:30am. I’m only a little bit ashamed, because had they been scheduled to spend the day with ME, I’d have insisted on cereal and fruit, but they were off to daycare, so…. where do I collect my “Mother of the Year” award??
[Tweet “Devour these #Banana #Cupcakes with Brown Sugar #Buttercream #recipe from @kyleecooks”]
About the Brown Sugar Buttercream
The cupcakes are soft and fluffy, not too dense, not at all dry – and perfect with or without the frosting. Oh, but the brown sugar buttercream frosting? Ohhhhhh yes. I TOTALLY RECOMMEND it. So worth it. It’s actually a little strange, when reading it – I was like, huh? Really? But, I promise. It works, and it’s amazing. It takes a little time to get the texture right, but when it is the consistency of whipped cream – you know you have it perfect. I’d never made frosting using flour before (I must have been living under a rock, apparently it’s common – who knew?)
How to make Banana Cupcakes
Two bowls, no mixer needed. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in another, and mix together. Scoop into cupcake liners and bake. Ta-da!
Storing Banana Cupcakes
If you actually have any left, keep them in the fridge. Unless you live in New Zealand, where it’s freezing right now, you’ll be fine with them on the counter!
Banana Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line muffin tin with wrappers, set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the bananas, oil, vanilla and egg.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until JUST combined (don't overmix it)
- Scoop batter into 12 cupcake liners. I used a large cookie scoop to do this, but aim for 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until they spring back when you touch them lightly.
- Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then set on a wire cooling rack until completely cool. Frost.
Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting
- In a saucepan, whisk together the flour and milk and cook over medium heat, whisking continuously until thickened to a smooth paste.
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and let cool to room temp.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the wire whisk, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. There should be no grittiness.
- Add in the milk mixture and beat it on high speed until you get a whipped cream consistency.
- Frost cupcakes, and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
Source: As seen on and only adapted slightly from This Silly Girl’s Kitchen