This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
An easy to make classic, this Hamburger Steak recipe is done in under 30 minutes. Fried patties made from ground beef, smothered in a delicious onion gravy, and served with mashed potatoes.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
It’s comfort food central over here at Kylee Cooks! We’ve been cooking up all kinds of casseroles, skillet meals and delicious stuff that is perfect for cooler weather.
This Hamburger Steak (also known as Salisbury Steak and Gravy) is homemade beef patties, seasoned with garlic, onion powder, seasoned salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. It is mixed up with breadcrumbs and a beaten egg and shape into oval patties.
They are then dipped lightly in flour, fried up and then served with a gorgeous brown gravy made in the same pan, from onions, beef stock and flour. SO. DARN. GOOD!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This can be on the table in under 30 minutes. Make a few side dishes too!
- Family friendly. My entire family loves this recipe, which is a relief when feeding all of us.
- Budget Friendly. Ingredients you probably already have, and nothing crazy expensive.
- Easy to make. This recipe has step by step photos below to help you out!
Frequently Asked Questions
In real terms? Nothing really. It’s just the official name and the commonly accepted name.
I serve this with mashed potatoes, homemade onion gravy, and steamed vegetables.
Ground beef, seasonings, breadcrumbs and an egg to bind it all together
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Ground Beef. Use an 80/20 blend. a little fat gives this a super juicy texture.
- Egg. Used to keep the patties together (so they don’t break apart while cooking).
- Breadcrumbs. I use plain, unseasoned breadcrumbs.
- Garlic, Seasoned Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce. This is a salty, savory flavored sauce that delivers a lot of flavor in such a small amount. Grab it in the same aisle as the soy sauce
- Gravy ingredients
- Beef Stock or Beef Broth
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Heat a oil in a large skillet over medium.
Make the patties
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, seasonings, bread crumbs and egg.
Scoop the mixture out and form into patties.
Dip each patty very lightly in flour.
Cook the patties
Cook the steak patties until browned (they don’t have to be fully cooked, we’ll return the patties to the pan when we have made the gravy). Remove from the skillet and keep warm
Make the Gravy
In the same skillet, increase to medium-high heat, cook the sliced onions until they soften. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, and whisk in the beef stock (scraping the bottom for the brown bits).
Check for seasoning, and add the patties back to the skillet. Reduce the heat and simmer until the patties are cooked through.
Serve on top of mashed potatoes, and spoon the gravy over the top.
What to do with leftovers
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Garlic powder can be used in place of fresh garlic if you prefer.
These can be made with ground beef, chicken, turkey or pork. Both chicken and turkey will need extra seasoning so avoid being bland. A mix of beef and pork works well too.
For a little extra flavor: add a little mustard powder when you add the other seasonings to the ground beef.
Mushrooms and onions make a great gravy! Sauté some sliced mushrooms after the onions soften.
The patties and gravy should be frozen separately.
More comfort food? You got it!
- Homemade Hamburger Helper. A VERY popular weeknight dinner. Simple. Homemade. Delicious!
- Chicken Tater Tot Casserole. A family-friendly easy prep and clean up meal that you can set and forget. This yummy tater tot casserole recipe has allll the good stuff – you can’t go wrong!
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie. A hearty, homestyle dinner that sticks to your ribs and satisfies.
Hamburger Steak Recipe (with Onion Gravy)
- Mix together the beef, egg, breadcrumbs, seasonings and worcestershire sauce. Add extra breadcrumbs if it needs it to bind well.
- Form patties (you should get 6) and flatten as thin as you'd like (thinner cooks quicker), and dip very lightly in flour.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, and cook the patties until browned (not necessarily cooked all the way through). Remove to a plate.
- Add the sliced onions to the skillet, and cook until translucent.
- Add the flour to the onions, and mix, then blend in the beef broth, scraping the pan to get all the brown bits off the bottom. Cook (stirring) over low-ish heat until thickened.
- Test for seasoning, and add salt/pepper if necessary.
- Add the patties back to the pan with the gravy, and simmer until cooked through (maybe about 5 -10 minutes, depending on thickness of the patties)
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This was originally posted in September of 2014, and has been updated to improve reader experience, with new pictures and step by step visuals.