This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious and creamy loaded baked potato soup (with BACON) is like comfort in a bowl. A recipe that is easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd. It also freezes well!
With the cooler weather on its way (I’m very very hopeful), this is a perfect excuse for SOUP. I love soup. I could cheerfully eat soup at every meal. Besides. Any excuse to eat BACON! I can get this on the table within 30 minutes of arriving home (less if I prep the ingredients the night before!) This is one of my family’s favorites. I make it ahead on a weekend, and keep it in the fridge for whenever we need a quick meal that week. Or, I take it for my lunch, and usually scarf it by 9am, because I can’t stop thinking about it.
It’s like eating one of those decadent loaded baked potatoes you get at a steak house, in soup form. You really can’t go wrong.
[Tweet “Loaded Baked Potato Soup #soup #recipe #loaded #yum”]
Make these rolls while you make your soup. You’ll be a hero, I promise!!
You can mix it up as much as you like, add more onions, celery and potatoes, or less if you want to. LOTS of toppings, or just a few? All or just one? (I recommend all, but you do you, kay? JUST DON’T LEAVE OUT THE BACON!!)
Chunky Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Here are the simple ingredients that go into the soup:
As most of my soup recipes will say, this lends itself well to the freezer, despite its cream factor. I keep mine for around 3 months, if they last that long!
When you see soup on a menu – what flavor is the one that you can’t resist ordering?
Want more soup? Of course you do!
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cup celery diced
- 5 slices bacon diced (divided)
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken stock heated
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced
- Cook 1 slice of bacon til crispy. Set aside as garnish for later.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onion, celery and remaining bacon and cook until onions soften.
- Add stock and potatoes. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10-15 mins, or until potatoes are tender
- Blend flour in half a cup of milk, then once blended add remaining milk and mix.
- Slowly pour into the soup, increase heat and stir constantly until soup boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in half the cheese and half the green onions
- Season to taste with black pepper
- Serve topped with remaining green onions, cheddar and bacon.