This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is a family friendly dinner! Grab your electric pressure cooker and some basic ingredients and dinner will be SUPER fast (and really tasty, too).
This is one of my favorite comfort foods! Chicken, rice, and vegetables all make a delicious meal my whole family loves. I used to make this chicken and rice recipe in my slow cooker, but I LOVE how fast it is done in the instant pot!
Pressure cooking is the current “hot” trend, and I can absolutely see why. Time-poor folks like me (and you?) just want good food, and they want it fast!
I love that I can get slow-cooked flavor in a fraction of the time. It’s mainly hands-off, so I can pretty much set it and forget it while I get on with homework, chores, and the never-ending to-do list. Right now I’m juggling homeschooling, work and running the household with limited access to groceries.
Adapt it! You can easily change my chicken and rice recipe to use what you have on hand, making it your OWN recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Dinner is on the table in under 30 minutes
- Customizable to what you have on hand.
- Easy to double, and stores well in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Everyone loves this one!!
Do you love your instant pot, too? Instant Pot Spaghetti and Chicken Chili might be up your alley!
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
Can frozen chicken be used? Yes! Increase the time to 15 minutes and ensure chicken is 165 F when tested with an instant-read thermometer.
Add some frozen peas if you’d like some more greens!
How to store or freeze
Keep refrigerated in a container with a lid for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave until piping hot.
To freeze, place in freezer bags or a container with a tight fitting lid (leaving a little room for expansion). Thaw and reheat in the microwave.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Onion, Celery Carrots. Cut these up all a similar size.
- Garlic. Add more or less, to your taste
- Rice. You can use white rice, brown rice, basmati, jasmine. any rice will work. There is no need to rinse the rice, but you can if you wish.
- Chicken. I use chicken breasts, but chicken thighs are SO good in this instant pot recipe.
- Chicken Stock. Make your own chicken stock, or use bouillon to make it, or grab a carton or can of chicken stock from the store. We have options!! If you would like it more soup-y. Add an extra 1 or 2 cups of broth at the end.
- Seasonings. This is where you can really mix it up and make it your own. I use Italian Seasoning, or just some rosemary and thyme. depending on my mood! Good old salt and pepper is always an option too.
How to make Easy Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Add some cooking oil to your instant pot, set the pot on saute, and allow to heat, before sauteeing some onions.
- Add the carrots, celery, rice, and seasoning.
- Add the chicken broth and chicken breasts.
- Seat the instant pot and cook at high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally, then perform a quick release (see below for explanation).
- Remove the chicken and shred or dice (totally up to you).
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and mix well. Add salt and pepper if needed, and.
Instant Pot Cooking Terms
What is Natural Pressure Release – aka NPR?
A natural pressure release happens when the cooking time is over and the valve is left closed. The pressure decreases without doing anything. Your Instant Pot will automatically switch to the Keep Warm setting.
As soon as it switches to Keep Warm the pressure will begin to drop and will release the pressure by itself. You’ll know it’s done – when the pin drops.
What is Quick Release?
Quick Release means to let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally slowly for a few minutes (usually between 5 and 15 minutes). After the time has elapsed, switch the valve to “venting” to quickly release any remaining pressure. The pressure will release to a point where the pin drops, and you can open the lid.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork – Sweet, spicy, juicy – this recipe uses an instant pot for maximum speed but tender, mouthwatering results.
- Instant Pot Ribs – omg these are to DIE for!! And in under an hour?! Sold!
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin (from The Salty Marshmallow)
- Instant Pot Salmon with Lemon-Dill Sauce (From Platings & Pairings)
- ALL INSTANT POT RECIPES
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on Kylee Cooks, leave a comment and rating – I truly love to hear from you!
Find me on Pinterest, Facebook & Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Chicken & Rice (Instant Pot Recipe)
- 1 Tbs cooking oil
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1 Tbs garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbs Italian Seasoning
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 lb chicken breasts
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Set the instant pot to “saute”, add the oil and allow to heat.
- Saute the onions until softened, then add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the Italian Seasoning, celery, carrots and rice, mixing the rice in to coat it in the onions and oil.
- Add the chicken broth and chicken and mix well.
- Put the lid on the instant pot and set the vent to “seal” and set the time for 12 minutes.
- Once the time is up, do natural release (see notes) for 10 minutes then perform a quick release.
- Remove the chicken breasts, shred and return to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Leave a Review