This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Success® Rice. All opinions are 100% mine.
Sausage and Rice in a skillet! Combining smoked sausage, crisp vegetables, fluffy rice and a hint of cheese, this is a weeknight dinner the whole family will love to share!
It all cooks in 1 skillet (aside from the rice, which is done in the bag while you make the rest) and is super delicious, easy and customizable to what you have in the fridge.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
Are you tired of cooking the same thing, or ordering from the same restaurant? Us too!
You’re in luck if you are here for a delicious dinner that the whole family will love to help cook. I’m here to show you how to create and share the meals you love with the people you love.
This is a great recipe to get the family involved with cooking. Spending time with together in the kitchen while you all make dinner makes everyone happy – we are literally sharing every dish, every way! If they have a hand in cooking, they are way more likely to eat dinner without complaining, too. I consider this a huge plus!
This recipe is really going to raise your cooking game and make everyone in your house clamor for seconds. It is full of yummy flavors!
I use some amazing shortcuts to get dinner on the table fast. Keeping a few staples on hand makes my life SO much easier! My favorite short cut is to use Success® Rice. The rice cooks in the bag, without measuring or mess, in just 10 minutes. It’s a great task for a younger child.
Cooking is one of the best ways to hang out as a family. I have one of my sons wash and chop vegetables, and the other handles the rice. We all have our jobs!
Swing by Walmart and grab some Success® Rice and all the other ingredients, too!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Quick. Ready in 20 minutes, including cooking the rice. Because we use smoked sausage that is already cooked, your cook time is only about 10 minutes (after you have prepped and chopped all the vegetables).
- Easy Recipe. No culinary degree required.
- Adaptable. This kind of dinner is so versatile, and easily adaptable to what you already have on hand. Check the Notes box for suggestions!
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Olive Oil & Butter. Used to sauté the vegetables and add flavor.
- Onion. About a cup, diced small. This is a small onion.
- Garlic. I use garlic twice in this recipe. Fresh and powdered.
- Smoked Sausage. Grab a rope of beef or chicken sausage from the lunch meat section of the store.
- Vegetables. You’ll need 4 cups of chopped veggies. You can choose any kind you like! Chop them into similar small sizes for even and fast cooking.
- Rice. I LOVE the convenience of Success® Rice (plus it has no preservatives and is gluten free!)
- Seasonings. Feel free to get creative here! I use basic salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in this recipe, but regularly switch it up by adding different flavors.
- Cheese. You can use the pre shredded kind, but if you can just shred your own. Any kind of cheese that you love will work well here.
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Chop your vegetables, mince your garlic, grate your cheese and cook the rice.
The rice is cooked by pouring 4 cups of water into a medium saucepan. You then submerge a bag of rice and bring to a boil. Boil for 8-10 minutes uncovered, then remove the bag from the water (use a fork or tongs). Cut open the bag, and fluff it and set aside til you are ready to use it.
Sauté the onion, garlic and sausage
Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat until the butter melts.
Add the onions and cook until softened (about 4 minutes)
Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then brown the sausage.
Add the vegetables, and cook
Add the chopped vegetables, reduce heat and cover. Cook for around 5 minutes. If your pan is a little dry, add a little water or chicken broth.
Add the rice and cheese
Add the cooked rice, salt, pepper and any other seasonings you like, and combine thoroughly.
Take skillet off the heat, add the cheese and stir in. We don’t want the skillet on the heat when we add the cheese, in case it burns. The heat from the food will melt it nicely.
Check your seasoning, and adjust if necessary, then devour.
What to do with leftovers
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat until it is piping hot!
Vegetables: If you have asparagus, peas, or frozen mixed vegetables, use those.
Protein: If you don’t like smoked sausage, some leftover steak or chicken, or even some shrimp from the freezer work deliciously.
Rice: White or brown rice can be used, as long as it is fully cooked.
Seasonings: I use a mix of onion powder and garlic powder, salt and pepper, but to mix it up I use Cajun Seasoning, or add some cayenne pepper.
This recipe can be frozen after cooking. Allow to cool completely before adding the cheese. Store in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 4 months.
More Rice Recipes
- Chicken Rice Soup. Fresh ginger, green onions, sesame oil, and a little soy make this Asian Chicken Soup one of the tastiest soups you’ll make!
- Rice Pudding. A creamy, old fashioned recipe – scented with vanilla, dotted with golden raisins, a little butter and a dash of nostalgia. This dessert is super easy to make, and so satisfying!
- Chicken Rice Casserole. Using pantry staples this is a weeknight winner sure to make everyone want seconds!
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on Kylee Cooks, leave a comment and rating – I truly love to hear from you!
Find me on Pinterest, Facebook & Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Smoked Sausage and Rice (Skillet Recipe)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 cup onion (diced small)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 12 oz smoked sausage (sliced)
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (sliced)
- 2 cups Success® Rice (I used white)
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated (optional))
- Add the onions and cook until softened (about 4 minutes)
- Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then brown the sausage.
- Add the chopped vegetables, reduce heat and cover. Cook for around 5 minutes. If your pan is a little dry, add a little water or chicken broth.
- Add the cooked rice, salt, pepper and any other seasonings you like, and combine thoroughly.
- Take skillet off the heat, add the cheese and stir in. We don’t want the skillet on the heat when we add the cheese, in case it burns. The heat from the food will melt it nicely.
- Check your seasoning, and adjust if necessary, then devour.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Leave a Review