This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A delicious and hearty soup, packed with nutritional super-heroes, this Spiced Lentil Soup is PERFECT for cool evenings. Fast to make and fills you up!
Gone are the bland, watery vegetable soups of old, and here to stay (at my house) are the bold, bright and richly coloured and flavored (and good for you) soups! I’m going to be so sad when soup season is over.
A complete meal in a bowl or cup is my idea of fabulous. love that it can be made ahead, stored in the fridge, or made from scratch in under 30 minutes.
This one is fantastic.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato and Spinach #Soup #healthy #vegan #vegetarian #lentils #recipe ” quote=”Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato and Spinach #Soup #healthy #vegan #vegetarian #lentils #recipe “]
Ramp up the heat and add extra cayenne and chili powder if you like things super spicy, but as written – this is fairly mild in heat, but big on taste (should suit the palate of a broader group). Yum. YUUUUUUUUUUUM.
Want more soup? Of course you do!
Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato, and Spinach Soup
- 1 tsp coconut oil or other oil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp prepared chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock can sub chicken
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves can sub kale
- In a large pot, cook the onion and garlic in oil for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Add in the celery and cook for a few minutes more (you want the celery to begin to soften)
- Stir in the bay leaf and the spices (cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, cayenne) and mix with the onion/garlic/celery mix - cook for a minute.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes (including juice), broth, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, until lentils are tender and fluffy.
- Stir in spinach and season to taste.
- When the spinach is wilted, remove the bay leaf, and serve
Tips for All Recipes on Kylee Cooks