This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Crunchy French Toast will surprise your senses! (it’s dipped in crushed cereal). It’s a crispy and delicious take on an old favorite.
I’m a busy Mama, but I like to find the time (especially on weekends) to beef up our breakfast routine. The boys love cereal, as do I – but we get bored of just pouring it into a bowl and serving with milk.
Not that doing that isn’t great, but here – I’m giving an old favorite a super yummy crunch by using some cereal to make a crispy crusted french toast. Added bonus? It serves up some additional nutrition (in the form of fiber and protein) – which as a Mama – I’m ALL about.
The cereal crust gives the french toast a crunchy texture and depending on the type of cereal you choose, it could add a brown sugar/cinnamon flavor to the french toast too.Love Crunchy French Toast? Me too!! Tweet it!
Usually, my kids love helping with breakfast – this has been a great way to get them in the kitchen and begin their love of food and cooking! Today, cartoons on the tv won, but – H was happy to help with the taste testing! He loved it. Well, of course he did.
This is a great breakfast for the holidays. Start the day off with something solid and delicious, and then enjoy the day ahead!
Can you make French Toast Ahead?
This a great one to prep ahead. You have two choices – make the components ahead, and make fresh in the morning, or make until cooked, and store.
Make the components: Crush the cereal and keep in a sealed container, and mix up your milk and eggs.
Complete recipe, then cool slices completely and store in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat – just pop the slices in the oven and bake until warmed through.
How to make Crunchy French Toast:
- Gather your ingredients.
- Combine the eggs and milk, and crush the cereal.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture, then coat in the cereal.
- Heat butter in a skillet and fry slices on each side until golden brown.
- Remove from skillet, and serve with extra butter and maple syrup.
Want more breakfast recipes? Of course you do!
Surprise yourself and your senses with this Crunchy French Toast (it's dipped in crushed cereal). It's a crispy and delicious take on an old favorite.
- 2 cups cereal (cheerios, oat bran)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 slices bread thick
- Butter for frying
- Maple syrup warmed if you want to be fancy
- Crush the cereal into fine crumbs in a plastic zip-top bag. Pour onto a plate, and set aside.
- Lightly beat together the eggs and milk.
- Heat butter over medium heat.
Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture, then coat in the cereal.
- Immediately cook slices on both sides til golden brown.
- Remove from pan, and devour with extra butter and maple syrup.